Touring hybrid thoughts

jtour
jtour Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

New to posting on these forums, but a long term reader. I could use some advice.

I'm planning on touring in France this summer for 2-3 weeks. I currently have a road bike, which is great, but not ideal for touring - very racy position, and not really suited to weight carrying (I'd be taking lightweight camping gear).

I was thinking of getting something like this, via cycle to work scheme, as a tourer/ride around town bike. Test-road one earlier, and it felt nice to ride, just not sure on it as a sensible choice for touring (it has all the rack mounts etc). With a budget of circa £500, what else is worth considering?

http://www.marin.co.uk/2013/bikepage.php?ModNo=13FF2

What are people's thoughts?

Jonno

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I have a Ridgeback hybrid, very similar spec to the Marin, and IMHO it's great for touring, comfortable riding position, like an armchair compared to my cube road bike. I pull a single wheel trailer with all the camping gear in with mine. Some will tell you that you don't get the change of hand positions on a flat bar bike, but I have not found this a problem, I have ergo grips which support the hands. I assume that you are not doing vast distances everyday anyway.

Sensible is overrated anyway :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • joesteve
    joesteve Posts: 21
    I've toured across the Alps and Pyrenees on an MTB with road tyres. I prefer the more relaxed riding position to that of my road bike for long days in the hills. Get some bar ends to give you the option of changing hand position and you'll be fine.
  • jtour
    jtour Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies, helpful and reassuring.

Bike shopping is great, just sometimes a little hard to know exactly what you need!