First KOM (and last..probably)

Jon_1976
Jon_1976 Posts: 690
edited May 2013 in Road general
I'm not one to brag usually, but I'm quite proud of my first KOM as it'll be probably my last :D I did have a joint 1st on a different segment but as my time was posted at a later date it didn't really count.
http://app.strava.com/activities/52359545#941399225

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    well done - you have to check back each week now to defend your title :)
  • ktuludays
    ktuludays Posts: 96
    no need to check back, they will send you an email when you get beaten!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent... I held one for a day until all the world and his father went out and beat it...

Just to demonstrate how rubbish I am, I set up a segment from my own front drive and I wasn't even KOM on that until recently...
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Sprool wrote:

Just admitted to being a KOM virgin. 8)

Well done OP. Although, whoever named that segment a "climb" needs a slap.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just looked through my segment and the oldest I top the table on is from Dec 2009 when I was younger and less fit :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Just make sure a 'group ride' doesn't come through and take it off you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH6YqAMKxD4
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Top tip: make your segments private, then you can be KOM on as many as you like :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Mikey23
    I was top in my age group on a lot of segs in my area until a party of old git's came through on a JOGLE and hoovered up everything going...
  • Jon_1976
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Sprool wrote:

Just admitted to being a KOM virgin. 8)

Well done OP. Although, whoever named that segment a "climb" needs a slap.

Agreed, I think some people instantly call anything with a slight incline a 'climb'. The incline on that segment is gentle to say the least, and it levels out in place. I went all the way up on the big chainring and mid cassette, I'm a crap cyclist so definately not a climb :lol:

Lol, some funny comments. To be honest, I don't care if/when its beaten, it was a bonus/surprise to get home and found I'd KOM'd that segment. The bloke who was previous KOM (same chap I'm joint KOM with on a different segement) has a shedload of KOMs in this area. No doubt, he'll back to regain his crown as he, from looking on his Strava, looks a rather good cyclist.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Tip: Change your sex on Strava to female and watch the KOM roll in.
  • Jon_1976
    lol :D So long as I only need to change gender on Strava and not in real life.
    I'm not that obsessed with Strava :lol:
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Actually it's QOM's but have a look at this

http://app.strava.com/segments/1161991
    QOM by default, note my average speed 5.6 kph!!!!!!!

And noone can say it's not a proper climb either :wink:
  • Mikey23
    Ouch that looks tough... And you're the only female on the planet who is also on strava to make it... Well done!
  • Jon_1976
    heh, got an email saying its been beaten already. :mrgreen:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Just to demonstrate how rubbish I am, I set up a segment from my own front drive and I wasn't even KOM on that until recently...

Love that idea
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    heh, got an email saying its been beaten already. :mrgreen:

Nightmare!

Husband reckons I'll get an email about my QOM getting beaten in about 30 years time and I'll have to go up aged 67 to try and win it back (probably on an electric bike by then) :lol:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Mikey23 wrote:

The one you should be worried about is teh KOM from your back door when you get home too early from work. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.