Did 100 miles today

alarustic
alarustic Posts: 24
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I didn't think this would ever be possible, so I'm really happy about to have cycled 100 miles today!

Previously my record was 64 miles. It was very hard going towards the end. I didn't choose a route, I had to go somewhere specific which meant 45 miles with the wind pushing me, then 55 miles return into the wind. I'd rather have done it the other way if I had a choice.

It was also my first ride with proper cycling shoes and pedals. They certainly make a difference, but I need to get used to them fast, I wasn't comfortable at traffic lights waiting for the lights to change, knowing I'd have to attach to the pedal.

I've been reading this forum for a long time and the posts like '50 done today', 'first 75 today', etc. motivated me and made me believe this was doable, so thanks everyone!

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Very well done! :D
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Good job!

I bet you charged for the fridge when you got back home :D
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Been around that area many times - in a car! Really well done on your 100 miler.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Frikin amazing. Very well done.
    Living MY dream.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Congrats on a superb effort,and now your effort will encourage others,including myself.Chapeau.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    That's a heck of a jump. Good work!
  • :D 8)
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Amazing ride, especially the 55 miles home into the wind. I always plan my rides with a tailwind home. Need to man up and not worry about it! Also only done mid 60s up to now, itching to get to 100!
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    great achievement, well done! I passed my own 50 mile target for the first time today, I reckon I could have done another 15 - 20 at a push but feel 100 is still a long way off.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Well done... My longest is still 66 but I have given myself a 90 plus to get to my holiday destination next week so am feeling a little nervous ...
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Great effort, congratulations :D
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Kudos on your 100 mile well done that man.

That milestone is my next target after doing 73 last week.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Rob85_
    Rob85_ Posts: 29
    Congratulations, its an awesome feeling isn't it? Did my first 100 last month and was chuffed to bits. :)
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Yes mate, congrats on a great achievement. Managed 87 today but want to push to 100 soon.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    congratulations - great effort
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    First time in cycling shoes and pedals AND a 100! What happened? Went out for a practice, couldn't unclip and ended up doing a 100?

Seriously though well done!
  • alarustic
    alarustic Posts: 24
    Thanks everyone. The reason for pedals+100 at the same time was just a coincidence, I've only had the bike since last weekend (MTB before that) and the pedals arrived the day before I was going to try the 100.

Major sense of achievement today as it sinks in! Last night I was simply too tired to appreciate.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    well done mate...u could prob class that as a 120 miler due to the wind :lol::lol:

i take my hat off to u sir,i got my 100k today and it hurt like hell into the wind....super effort by u.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida