First outing on my SPd sl

2»

Comments

• KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I found this too Phil, but I just lubed the bearings up a bit with some dry lube and gave them a good work, most the weight of the peddle seems to be on the rear so mine now naturally hang down
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Bazinga!!! wrote:
    p1tse wrote:
    Got to say for a beginner and still unfit the SPd sl makes things a lot easier and smoother, those flats I must have gained some speed and those hills weren't as painful

Those who haven't gone clipless, try it for sure as it makes things so much more enjoyable whilst in motion

Got me thinking now. New bike due to arrive with flats & straps as I wanted to "get used to" the thing but now thinking I should just go for SPD straight away.

What to do...mmm!!! :?

Clips and straps are a great system in their own right (though best with quality platforms, clips and leather straps, not cheap OEM tat, and proper shoes), but excellent for getting used to having your feet attached to the pedals: to begin with they are a much easier system to use, as with the straps fully loosened you can simply withdraw your foot rather than twisting (probably what you'll instinctively do if you panic), and once you can tighten and loosen your straps, clipless pedals will be the easiest thing in the world...
  • simon_masterson
    SoSimple wrote:
    You've got a greater risk of not getting your foot free in time with straps than with cleats. I'd seriously recommend you bite the bullet and go clipped from day one.

Not if you have the straps loose, as most beginners will. If you can't get your foot out of a toe clip with a slackened strap, you have the wrong size clip and/or strap, or shoe.
  • Bazinga!!!
    Bazinga!!! Posts: 30
    lotus49 wrote:
    SoSimple wrote:
    You've got a greater risk of not getting your foot free in time with straps than with cleats. I'd seriously recommend you bite the bullet and go clipped from day one.

It's worth the odd tricky moment just for what it gives you on hills.
    I have to say that I do not agree with this. Firstly, pulling your foot backward is much more natural than twisting your foot outwards, which is a skill you need to learn. Nowadays people don't tend to have their feet fixed firmly into toeclips so they have to reach down to unclip like riders used to in the 60s.

The other aspect is how much cycling you have done recently. If you are rusty, as I was, clipping in and out is another thing to think about that you could do without.

I kept my 105 pedals and R087 shoes in their boxes for the first fortnight. I do love them though. I really like being properly connected to my bike. I can't imagine going back now.

Exactly my reasoning for not going straight into SPD. Just one more thing to think about for a "newbie" like me.

Not done any cycle commuting before, except for a trial run covering the month of November on a borrowed (& very heavy) mountain bike. Not ridden a road bike for nearly 30 years.

Part of me thinks I'm wimping out though & should just "man up". :?
    Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
  • simon_masterson
    Bazinga!!! wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:
    SoSimple wrote:

It's worth the odd tricky moment just for what it gives you on hills.
    I have to say that I do not agree with this. Firstly, pulling your foot backward is much more natural than twisting your foot outwards, which is a skill you need to learn. Nowadays people don't tend to have their feet fixed firmly into toeclips so they have to reach down to unclip like riders used to in the 60s.

The other aspect is how much cycling you have done recently. If you are rusty, as I was, clipping in and out is another thing to think about that you could do without.

I kept my 105 pedals and R087 shoes in their boxes for the first fortnight. I do love them though. I really like being properly connected to my bike. I can't imagine going back now.

Exactly my reasoning for not going straight into SPD. Just one more thing to think about for a "newbie" like me.

Not done any cycle commuting before, except for a trial run covering the month of November on a borrowed (& very heavy) mountain bike. Not ridden a road bike for nearly 30 years.

Part of me thinks I'm wimping out though & should just "man up". :?

Don't feel that clipless pedals are mandatory: Contrary to what some might insist, they aren't. Before it comes up, they don't make you faster, just more comfortable (there isn't much choice of cycling shoes for non-clipless users anymore), and more secure. (whilst still being able to remove your foot very easily)

They are just a very effective and practical system. Throwing yourself in at the deep end works well for some people, but not everyone. I had done thousands of miles on my old Christophe clips and Chossy leather straps before I started using SPDs on my main bike; you'll read all the time about the 'clipless moments' that people around here have as they get used to their new pedals, but I never did. It was already second nature.

If you feel that you don't need another thing to get to grips with yet, then don't. :)
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    My bike is on order and going with the 105 pedals etc. My hesitation is the cleats but as I generally ride on main roads stopping is hopefully not going to be a big issue.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • simon_masterson
    Before long it becomes natural (you'll know that this has happened when you try to clip into a flat platform!). You don't have the easiest to start on, but the worst you can do is worry about it.