Am I being ripped off??

♠ChumBucket♠
♠ChumBucket♠ Posts: 388
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
..........By my cycle computer!!!

I'm not sure what's going on here but I have been convinced for a while now that I am going faster than my computer says so. Over the last few weeks on a new road bike with new computer I have been doing loops/ journeys that I have done many times before on a MTB with road tyres on. I have been getting a little deflated by the average speeds on the roadie, feeling I'm going much faster than what the computer displays to me!

Anyhow, I have tried to work out two recent well known loops. Any advice welcome as to whether I'm doing these calculations correctly, or I'm totally missing something?

Ride 1- 19 miles in 1hr 08 mins. so 19 divided by 1.08 = 17.5 avg mph? the computer says 16.8 avg mph.

Ride 2- 21.6 miles in 1hr 17 mins. so 21.6 divided by 1.17 = 18.4 avg mph? the computer says 16.8 avg mph.

Compared to experience of what my other computer on the MTB would read I would expect the higher averages to be nearer the mark.

The computer is a new decathlon count 8.

Any input guys?
B'TWIN Triban 5A
Ridgeback MX6

Comments

• fuddymox
    fuddymox Posts: 384
    Your maths is off- remember 1 hour 17 minutes is not 1.17 as 60 minutes in an hour, not a hundred! Computer calculation is correct (unfortunately!)
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    1hr 15mins is 1.25 not 1.15
    1hr 30mins is 1.5 not 1.30
    Etc....
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    What you are doing is saying 1hr 8 mins is 1.08 hours - it isn't it's 1.133 hours (8 mins is 8/60 of an hour). 19 divided by 1.133 is 16.78
    Likewise with the other figure
    Computer's right - sorry :twisted:
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Nice try though :lol:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    The sooner they metric the hours into 100 minutes per hour and 100 seconds per minute the better, I say!
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    ChumBucket - you're an English settler aren't you?
  • Navrig wrote:

Got passport via wife matey, that's how I'm in!! :wink:

Right, I see, ok, maybe maths wasn't my best subject!! :lol::lol:

I haven't built my legs up this year yet, not put enough miles in. However, I was blitzing those averages last year on the MTB- albeit after many more miles than I've put in this year. That said, I feel like I'm now faster on the roadie! :?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Thanks all the same guys, wishful thinking on my part maybe!! :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Navrig wrote:

I haven't built my legs up this year yet, not put enough miles in. However, I was blitzing those averages last year on the MTB- albeit after many more miles than I've put in this year. That said, I feel like I'm now faster on the roadie! :?

Thought so. The Borders might be full of sheep shiggers but at least they can count how many sheep they have shigged!
  • Navrig wrote:
    Navrig wrote:

Thought so. The Borders might be full of sheep shiggers but at least they can count how many sheep they have shigged!

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm here to keep an eye on you all, don't want to have to kick your asses again, what with this Salmond idiot at the reigns an' all!! :twisted:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    Navrig wrote:
    Navrig wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm here to keep an eye on you all, don't want to have to kick your asses again, what with this Salmond idiot at the reigns an' all!! :twisted:

the price of chain oil in england is gonna go through the roof.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    got the wheel size set correctly?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.