My Rebas aren't 100mm wide.

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.
I bought a new giant anthem x3 2012 from Paul's cycles last November and have barely ridden the bike more than 50 miles due to upgrading parts and being on my hardtail. I bought wheels or it and have a 15mm bolt through on my 2012 rebas-designed for 26" wheels.
The problem is that the spacing between the fork legs are 95mm and my hub (end cap to end cap) is 98-99mm. What can I do to fit my new wheel as the two wheels have cost me the best part of £400 and I can't return them as have used the rear one.
Is there any possibility of widening the legs to 100mm without compromising the stability of the fork or am I stressing it and it may crack etc?
I haven't had any accidents or put weight (other than soft riding) on the fork.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    you what?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Blah, blah, blah... am I stressing? ...blah, blah.

Yes. Just whack it in (this assumes you are correct in saying you have 15mm wheels and a 15mm fork, and that the old wheels fit fine).
  • Forks leg width should be 100mm +- 2mm
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/RXYQC ... _1_1-8.pdf

So they could be ok.... ever been crashed?
    Might be worth getting them checked out by your LBS if they really don't fit, you don't want to pull them apart to fit the wheels for them to wear excessively.
  • mikeyj28
    warpcow wrote:
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Blah, blah, blah... am I stressing? ...blah, blah.

Yes. Just whack it in (this assumes you are correct in saying you have 15mm wheels and a 15mm fork, and that the old wheels fit fine).

Cheers for the constructive blah blah blah etc! I bought a bike, have not crashed it or had any level of impact upon the forks and bought some expensive wheels to put on the bike but the front doesn't fit! I asked for any help or suggestions.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • mikeyj28
    Forks leg width should be 100mm +- 2mm
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/RXYQC ... _1_1-8.pdf

So they could be ok.... ever been crashed?
    Might be worth getting them checked out by your LBS if they really don't fit, you don't want to pull them apart to fit the wheels for them to wear excessively.

Thank you for the reply. Yes i'm resorting to letting my LBS to check them over and see if there is scope to use the front wheel without causing damage. You got any suggestions for a reliable bike shops in the Cardiff area? I currently use cyclopaedia on Crwys road.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You won't find a better bike shop than Cyclopaedia in Cardiff (in my opinion).

Have you checked the end cap-to-end cap measurement on the original front wheel?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mikeyj28
    JBA wrote:
    You won't find a better bike shop than Cyclopaedia in Cardiff (in my opinion).

Have you checked the end cap-to-end cap measurement on the original front wheel?

Yes but the standard wheel that I have is a Giant own hub of which the ends go smaller (in a cone like manner) and fit into the holes of the fork.It seems to be designed specifically around the fork. This is in contrast to the end caps that are fitted onto my new hub which is wider than my fork width.
    Thanks for the reply :)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Any chance of posting a few photos of both wheels and fork ends?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mikeyj28
    JBA wrote:
    Any chance of posting a few photos of both wheels and fork ends?
    I could do tomorrow yes. Not quite sure on how to upload pictures on here but can give it a go.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use an external host like Tinypix or photobucket, use the forum img code links they supply - simples!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.