Turning an accident into an opportunity

Ally_dagger
Ally_dagger Posts: 5
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to road bikes and brought a specialized secteur 4 weeks ago for my commute to work. Unfortunately someone in a 4x4 failed to see me and T boned me while I was riding to work and put me in plaster for 6 weeks but caused relatively minor damage to the bike.

The front wheel is buckled and the large chainring is bent in but maybe very slightly the middle chainring but I cant be sure until I get it off. The rest of the damage is just scrapes and the handlebars are bent round but I think I can just re-centralise them.

So the only 2 parts I need to replace are the chainring/crankset and the wheel. The crankset is shimano 2300 and the wheel is axis classic. Should I just replace the parts if they are ny good or should I take this as an opportunity to upgrade? The bike is going to be used mainly for commuting but will be getting used in the odd triathlon.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    After taking a whack like that I'd get the bike properly checked over by your LBS and get them to submit a report for whoever is handling your insurance claim?
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Get your bike bike checked by a bike shop just for piece of mind.As Arthur said you will need an insurance assesment anyway.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Whilst I would not suggest anything fraudulent I would have absolutely no reluctance in replacing at the drivers expense anything that has the slightest possibility of damage.

To bend a chainring takes some force and if there is anything carbon involved replace it immediately. Don't forget to invoice for a new helmet. Likewise your frame may be bent and this will only be apparent when you ride it (unless you can find a good LBS with a jig).

If you are a member of the CTC or BCF they can assist you legally (and if not now is a good time to join - a BCF Ride membership per annum is only £20 or so.

The driver should be relieved he (or she) did not seriously injure you.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    farrina wrote:

The driver should be relieved he (or she) did not seriously injure you.

In plaster for 6 weeks is certainly serious enough - i trust you'll be submitting a sizeable medical claim Ally, as well as the claim on the bike! As above though - get the whole bike thoroughly checked out as if you're frame is cracked and it then fails a couple of months down the line, you'd have little chance of making a further claim.