Isle of Wight Randonnee 2013 - 100km 5th May

Anyone doing this?

Comments

• bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    yes. getting up at the crack of dawn (literally) to get there.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    yes. getting up at the crack of dawn (literally) to get there.

:) I'm doing it with my daughter, luckily not too far away but catching the 8am Ferry - Portsmouth to Fishbourne and starting from Wootton so early enough for a Sunday!
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    It was a fantastic ride this year, perfect weather for it.

We rolled up at the final checkpoint alongside a 6-year old kid who'd just done the full 100km with his dad. He had the stamped route card to prove it too!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    mikenetic wrote:
    It was a fantastic ride this year, perfect weather for it.

We rolled up at the final checkpoint alongside a 6-year old kid who'd just done the full 100km with his dad. He had the stamped route card to prove it too!

It was an excellent day out. Saw the 6 year old on Military Road, whilst doing my impression of the Dumbo Train..'I think I can, I think I can.. I knew I could...'. An awesome achievement for a nipper to do 100k.

Had to laugh at one of the cycling clubs that were blasting round the island like idiots and a sense of superiority. It all came to a sorry slow down for them at the end of the disused railway track into Yarmouth, where most were to be found repairing punctures.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Had to laugh at one of the cycling clubs that were blasting round the island like idiots and a sense of superiority. It all came to a sorry slow down for them at the end of the disused railway track into Yarmouth, where most were to be found repairing punctures.

Which cycle club? Not Charlotteville CC by any chance???

iowrandonnee2013_1.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    drlodge wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Which cycle club? Not Charlotteville CC by any chance???

iowrandonnee2013_1.jpg

No I believe it was SURC. Soton Univ Club.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    drlodge wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I usually bypass that bit by following the road round, there's a little climb but that's better than changing a flat which I had to do the only time I've used the trail on the road bike.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    we easily overtook them at the end. also saw a guy with zip 303s. i can't for the life of me figure out the point of carbon wheels on that ride.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I ride round the island regularly as my folks live there, and the roads are pretty awful. Nice along the military road though, with a couple of decent drags at either end.
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    phreak wrote:
    I ride round the island regularly as my folks live there, and the roads are pretty awful. Nice along the military road though, with a couple of decent drags at either end.

I do too as my wife and I have a cottage on the island. I'd say the roads on the north are better than those on the south coast but Military Rd can be a bloody hard ride if the wind is against you. Some nice climbs out of Ventnor and over the downs
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Yeah I did a spin there today and it was incredibly windy. Started in Cowes, down the west side, along military road, into Ventnor, back up through Newport, onto Ryde/Bembridge and back to Cowes via the downs.

About 115km all told. Was tough into the wind, but thankfully military road had a tailwind today, albeit that seemed about the only place that did.

As you say, the roads down the south seem really bad at the moment. Daft that they were redoing the road to the car ferry in Cowes, even though that's generally fine, whilst other roads are shockingly bad and have been untouched for years.