iPhone Apps

pak-man
pak-man Posts: 76
edited May 2013 in Road general
So, having finally succumbed to the power of marketing, I now have an iPhone! Any suggestions on good cycling apps would be much appreciated! Cheers.

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Download Strava and get yourself out for some rides. It is quite a good app, and has a very good website where you can view everything! Also check out mapmyride!
  • KelA
    KelA Posts: 5
    Endomondo is also another good one, gives all the info you need and a good web site. Also allows people to comment on your ride and performance
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,579
    +1 for Strava, MapMyRide is OK but not as much fun.
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    Strava or runtastic seem to be good, runkeeper used to stop at random and lose half my ride
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Strava seems fav I use this now but also used to use cyclemeter :)
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • pak-man
    pak-man Posts: 76
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll give Strava a go then!
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    also get yourself a topeak bike case and mount
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Strava and a quad lock case. It's the addictive future
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • AllanES
    AllanES Posts: 151
    I find my riding time outlives the battery life of my iPhone. Last weekend the Strava/iPhone died at 49.5miles. Aaaaargh!
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • amflemi
    amflemi Posts: 6
    At the moment I use the Wahoo app as I have the heart rate monitor and speed and cadence sensor. I then upload the data to Runkeeper and Strava. This might sound complicated but the Wahoo app gives me a lot of information that you have to pay for in other apps such as heart rate zones. My data is housed in several different places if any of them go offline for whatever reason. Battery life is an issue as with all of these things. I am waiting to see what the RFLKT from Wahoo looks like in the flesh and then look at an external battery such as the mophie juice pack. The main point I would make is try all the free versions of the various apps and decide which one you like before taking the plunge and paying for it.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    AllanES wrote:
    I find my riding time outlives the battery life of my iPhone. Last weekend the Strava/iPhone died at 49.5miles. Aaaaargh!

Something is seriously wrong with your battery then. I'm on a 3GS that is 4 years old, and if I go out with a full battery it lasts 5+ hours with enough to still use the phone the rest of the day once I return. That is unless you had a 5mph average. I also suggest turning off wifi and all the extra stuff before you leave and just leave location services on.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    ^^^^^^^. What he says..

If done 100 miles on my iPhone with no issues and that was 6 hours

Just turn off all the apps in he background and your away.. Simple
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I really love my iPhone but the best iPhone cycling app would be one that showed the nearest Garmin stockist.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've used Cyclemeter on my iPhone 4 for a couple of years and it's faultless, as for battery life I was out for 5hrs 40 and the battery was around 63% at the end.

I use a Garmin 500 now but I've run them side by side for a few months and the readings are identical. If you're not bothered about HR and cadence get a Cateye wireless strada and run Cyclemeter on your iPhone tucked away in your jersey pocket, that'll save you £150.
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    Chris87 wrote:
    also get yourself a topeak bike case and mount

Why would you want to mount a iphone to the bars, spoiling the looks of the bike, your ride enjoyment and potentially your new smart phone.

Strava all the way, i use to used Endomondo and whilst its a very good app i eventually switched to Strava.
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    Why does everyone balk at the thought of putting an iPhone on your bars.

Firstly most people insure their iPhones (it only a few pounds a month in most cases), if it gets damaged it will only cost about £50 to replace, most garmins arent insured so would cost a hell of a lot more to replace.

Secondly with the topeak mount it sits on the stem, so actually blends in with the bike very well. At the recent skoda training rides for ride london most people really liked the look of it and were really curious, even the riders from Rapha Condor liked the look of it.
  • xhacker
    xhacker Posts: 69
    Try Bikebrain app. It's free and has most features, including maps of an expensive Garmin.
    It's vey impressive!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I posted a screen shot from Cyclemeter on here a couple of years ago. It had me riding at 85mph. The battery lasts forever because it hardly ever polls the GPS chip. It is the worst of the lot for accuracy.

Motion X has the best accuracy but slaughters your battery.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I posted a screen shot from Cyclemeter on here a couple of years ago. It had me riding at 85mph. The battery lasts forever because it hardly ever polls the GPS chip. It is the worst of the lot for accuracy.

Motion X has the best accuracy but slaughters your battery.

In over two years I've never had an issue and as I posted earlier Cyclemeter has been identical to my Garmin for the last two or three months.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I love Strava

Used the iphone app for 400 miles then bought a Garmin. Still upload to Strava though :)
  • The_JML
    The_JML Posts: 132
    Strava doesn't display your current speed which is a pain. What is the best app which has a heads up display and displays current location? Anyone used the iBike app?
  • tonecoles
    tonecoles Posts: 33
    Bozman wrote:
    I've used Cyclemeter on my iPhone 4 for a couple of years and it's faultless, as for battery life I was out for 5hrs 40 and the battery was around 63% at the end.

I use a Garmin 500 now but I've run them side by side for a few months and the readings are identical. If you're not bothered about HR and cadence get a Cateye wireless strada and run Cyclemeter on your iPhone tucked away in your jersey pocket, that'll save you £150.

Ah that's good, what should I spend my spare £150 on cos that's exactly my setup