First 50 miler - feeling utterly deflated

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
For context, started biking in late Feb and have been adding distance, one long ride a week. Last weekend was the first one I missed so this was first time out in two weeks (apart from the short ride to work). Last ride was a 46 miler and I was buzzing after, and had my highest average speed at 14.7mph.

Hit the 50 mark this morning and it was the hardest thing I've ever done (and I've had some pretty depressed moments climbing mountains).

Wind built up and miles 20-33 were due SW, which was straight into the wind. The forecast says it was 15mph wind with 30mph gusts.

First 20 miles in 1hr 18m, averaging slightly more than 15mph.

Next 15 miles in the same amount of time, averaging about 11mph. :shock:

That section was such a slog with the headwind. I nearly had a little cry at one point. :(

Should the wind have affected my speed that much? I feel like I did cr&p! :cry:

Here's the ride data:
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1290482 (I'll make it private again later as I don't like having these public)

I know you all use Strava. In the elevation chart at the bottom you can flick between distance and time. And if you run your mouse along the graph you get a readout of the speed I was doing at the time at any given point.

60 mile charity ride in two weeks. Feeling really scared for the first time. If conditions are like today or worse I don't know how I'll manage it. Don't feel like I had another ten miles in me. Although I'm still walking!

Comments

• city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    edited May 2013
    Looks to me like you got more to be chuffed about than deflated about.
    You've done your first 50 miler :D , you found it tough going but had the guts to carry on :D, the conditions were crap and you overcame them :
    Don't know what you did with regards fuelling on the ride, but chances are you've learnt a bit more about that too :D
    I'd say you've done well, even if you don't!
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Mountains?? Where?? :D:D

Its amazing how much difference a headwind makes - i did a ride last weekend and that was really hard despite the very low speeds done riding very gently between the hills. 55 miles felt more like 90, and was the toughest ride i've done in a while (we got sent the wrong way and had to do two extra big climbs).

Here's the hilly ride i did - and on my own i can generally average 18mph in decent conditions (but less hilly) for 50 miles.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/51172088

So in answer - yes - wind and hills can make a huge difference. Try not to worry too much :D
  • pinkteapot
    It was just SO hard compared to all my previous rides. First time that it hasn't been fun. :( And feeling nervous about the 60 mile event now in case conditions are bad. They could easily be worse than today!

Frustrated with how slow I went in the wind. Now idea how much (if at all) it tends to affect speed. Didn't help when I saw lots of cyclists going the other way, so flying along, and there was me looking really lame. :roll:

On the plus side I overtook three cyclists today (proper ones on road bikes, vs me in my non-cycle clothes on my hybrid, not that I'm competitive or anything) and didn't get overtaken once. AND, big news, had a drink while on the move for the first time yet. Wobbled about like a toddler learning to ride, but managed it. :wink:
  • pinkteapot
    Mountains, only Lake District and Scotland. Not like I've climbed Everest or anything lol. Today's ride was the second hardest thing I've ever done. Hardest was getting from Scafell Pike summit to Scafell summit. 2 hours to go 1/4 mile in horizontal distance!! Thought I was going to have to call mountain rescue at one point. :shock:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Riding into strong wind is about as hard as it gets. You stuck at it though and finished the ride. That's the important thing.

Never get hung up about 1 ride. The next one will be better. You've ridden further than you've done before in challenging conditions - the 60 will be a breeze! (maybe the wrong term to use when we're talking about wind!).

And when all is said and done, we never really remember the easy rides - it's the ones that nearly kill you that stick in the memory bank. You might even raise a smile about it tomorrow!

Good luck for your 60!
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    well done mate on getting ur first 50 miler in.i wouldnt be feeling to deflated if i were you....more elation if it was me.i hit my first 50 last week with about 30 of it into a headwind and although i finished quite knackered i felt that only for the wind i could have gone further and TBH i think you're probably the same.take good heart in it mate that you did so well and the next time u go out you'l get the 60 miler no probs at all.well done to u in my book.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    pinkteapot wrote:
    On the plus side I overtook three cyclists today (proper ones on road bikes, vs me in my non-cycle clothes on my hybrid, not that I'm competitive or anything) and didn't get overtaken once. AND, big news, had a drink while on the move for the first time yet. Wobbled about like a toddler learning to ride, but managed it. :wink:

That's better - focus on the positives :D
    What about food? Were you fuelling during the ride as well as drinking?
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds like you had a hard ride, but as others have said look for the positives when you reflect on what you have done.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • pinkteapot
    City Boy wrote:
    pinkteapot wrote:

That's better - focus on the positives :D
    What about food? Were you fuelling during the ride as well as drinking?

I eat twice my normal pasta portion the night before a long ride (150g dried weight).

Breakfast = bran flakes and OJ, and water

Drink during ride = sports drink

Snack = had 3 fig rolls at halfway point

Probably not drinking enough. Had about 500ml on the ride which I know is well under what most people here recommend. Drank a LOT of water yesterday and another glass with breakfast. And haven't been arriving home with apple juice coloured wee so figure it's ok.

Main reason I've not been drinking much is that until today I couldn't drink without stopping. Should be able to get more in as I practice that more.
  • Well done, I wouldn't be deflated with that in windy conditions.

To give you some idea, this morning I did a 22 mile circuit. 11 miles west, then 11 miles east. A heavy westerly wind.

So, the first 11 miles I was doing 30mph (& more) on the flat!! :shock: On the last 11 miles I was doing between 10 & 16 MPH for much of it!!!!! :lol::lol:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    I would probably want to have more carb and less fibre for breakfast. Swap the bran flakes for porridge with fruit, honey or good old muscovado sugar and then maybe some granary toast with honey or peanut butter.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    Sounds like you had a good training ride.
    On the charity ride you should be able to hide behind other riders a bit to shelter from the wind.
    Well done :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Pink,dont worry,that,s a brilliant ride and you kept going which is the main bit.Head wind is hard for every one and it,s good training.I did 48 mls today and the first 21 were into a westerly and it was gruelling.I did it that way as on a sportive or charity ride I have booked it could be same conditions,so makes sense to ride in all conditions.
    Chin up,you did great.
    ps..think you need to eat and drink more on the ride help keep you topped up :D .
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Look back at the map of your ride and see how far you have gone...all under your own steam. It feels really good to know you can get that far and you should know that in the next couple of days your body adjusts to handle that level of effort so you will definitely be ready for 60 miles and will most likely have much better conditions.

Try the Edinburgh coastline though if you want to see strong winds...almost every ride ends up being a slog back home against the wind. It has its own kind of pleasure though.
  • pinkteapot
    Going to the Uists in June and will hire a bike for a couple of days. Apparently the prevailing winds are normally south to north so think I'll get the husband to drop me in the south and pick me up in the north. ;)
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Absolutely agree with the other replies, the main thing is you've broken through a barrier & made real progress. We all get frustrated at the wind, but its making you stronger physically & mentally if you get through it, which you did.

Well done :-)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    sounds excellent to me ...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Well done - its a landmark figure - and the wind can turn any ride into a nightmare - I did a 50 last sunday and hit a massive headwind which reduced me down to 10mph - the reason it deflates so much is that you have to concentrate more and fidget on the bike more - but at least you've got an experinece from which you can gauge your next 50.

And as for eating and drinking in very strong winds, its best to play it safe and stop at the side of the road - if nothing else it can give you a breather - and psychologically the wind seems to die down.Well played.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    If you dont already then try lowering your riding position and grip the bars either side of the stem on flatbars ,that helps me on my hybrid when into a heavy wind,it streamlines your frontal area helps save energy and increase your speed by a little bit,and feel pleased with yourself that you completed your mission and didnt give up, now just do the same thing again for the 60.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Going to the Uists in June and will hire a bike for a couple of days. Apparently the prevailing winds are normally south to north so think I'll get the husband to drop me in the south and pick me up in the north. ;)

Yep - my tour from the North of Lewis to the South of Barra rates pretty high in my hateful headwind battling history!
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    You've done well there PT. Headwinds are hateful things and yep, they will really slow you down. I had a nice 4 mile downhill (slightly) section on my last ride and I was looking forward to having a bit of a rest on it. Hah! it was straight into the wind and I had to pedal going downhill. No rest for me :)

As the others have said, that's 50 miles done in poor conditions. Next time you will be stronger again.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I think you did brilliantly. A strong headwind it the worst possible thing for sapping energy and strength. It's like (in your case) a 15 mile moderate hill, except you can't see the slope, or the top so it's soul destroying too.

On the plus side - imagine that was one long mountain pass, the like of which you don't get in Essex. Absolutely superb training for your 60. In fact compared to a ride in 'normal winds' I reckon you can probably count today as a 60 :D
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Once did a 4 hour training ride and I was ill or something...anyway I bonked on the way out (35 miles out) and there was a ver strong headwind for the whole 35 miles back whilst bonked. I hated EVERY second of the return trip and yes wanted to cry I was bloody exhausted...threw my bike into the hall and bemoaned ever cycling again.

Next day I got on the bike and had a great ride ;)

It won't be your last sh1t ride they do happen. Just power through and get back out there the next day!
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    As everyone else has said, well done! I hate the wind too, but your next ride will seem so much easier :D