Cross country routes manchester

xcountryphil
xcountryphil Posts: 7
edited May 2013 in Routes
Hi all
So, I have been attempting to get my friends into mountain biking, and a mountain bike, a couple of hybrids later, I am wanting to go out and enjoying the countryside!

So. I having been using a route up in chinley, though this is probably a little too 'mountain bikey' for friends
Therefore I am after some routes that are more exciting than simply cycling along the canal, but not as technical as Jacobs ladder in edale
Simply put, a long cross country route!

anyhwere in Manchester, though its easy enough to get the Train to the edale etc

More ideas and routes the better

Phil

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Lots of routes round Manchester google Mary Townley loop for a good long ride.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • negativelycra
    negativelycra Posts: 225
    Gritstone trail?
    The ride past the nancy is ace for anyone local. You can see the entire Manchester area, clearly see the Beetham tower, the high rises in salford, and on clearer days make out bury and the hills beyond. To the west, you have macc below, alderley edge in the middle distance and clear days all the way to the coast, runcorn, the power station etc. If you are looking south, you have the Jodrell bank and the cheshire plain, and all the east is lovely hills (like the brikworks). The ride is fine for hybrids, few hills but not killing you, and it's not too fiddly for gates.

If you're going longer, the next bit heads down to tegs nose, and on to the Cloud, and eventually near Mow Cop if you fancy killing them on station road.