Carrera Subway 2?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i got asked to fix a bike the other day and when i went there to pick it up, to my surprise it was a half decent bike...it was a Carrera Subway 2. I didnt bother to fix it in the end as he wasnt willing to pay up enough for what needed to be done.

So i decided to offer him to buy it off him. I offered him £20.

Heres all i know about the bike:

Both rims are Alex rims. Bot are really and properly bent. But the front may be repairable. I don think the rear will be worth repairing as there were so many bent spokes.

It has a front cable disc brake that works fine, just needs a bit of tinkering to get more power and less screeching.

It has Kenda small block 8 tyres which i wouldnt mind having, as i need nice offroad tyres now.

It has both discs on the wheels

The rear cassette looks pretty expensive. Looks like a Sram one to me. Not sure though.

Shimano Alivio front and rear mech, and suntour cranks with removable rings. But no rear gear cable

It is fully rigid and is really really light. I think its 7025 Aluminium?

It looks stolen to me though...very very stolen.
Would you say its worth £20? whats the most i should pay? Should i just keep the £20 for upgrading/finishing my own bike?

It looks like this, but alot more fucked up :lol: Paint is in sound condition though.

s640carrerasubway2disc_zpsace8d087.jpg

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    If it looks stolen don't buy it!!!!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486

+1
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Would you say its worth £20? whats the most i should pay? Should i just keep the £20 for upgrading/finishing my own bike?
    RRSODL wrote:

+1
    +2
      look out of your window
      can you see the flashing lights yet ?
      misc025.gif
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • gt-arrowhead
      chez_m356 wrote:
      RRSODL wrote:

+1
      +2
        look out of your window
        misc025.gif

Haha. Not even if i strip for spares and sell the frame?
      • The Rookie
        The Rookie Posts: 27,812
        Doesn't stop it being stolen and you handling stolen goods and the thief profiting from it....

Subways are well sought after for certain commuting and in useable condition are worth well over £100
        Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
      • gt-arrowhead
        Doesn't stop it being stolen and you handling stolen goods and the thief profiting from it....

Subways are well sought after for certain commuting and in useable condition are worth well over £100

I understand what you mean...i think ill give it a pass, wont be getting fixed any time soon if i had it anyway really. I wont totally write off getting it though. My Arrowhead was 99% stolen and ive had no troubles with that.
      • sprite1275
        sprite1275 Posts: 157
        Can't stand thieving farkers so don't line there pockets if it is, even though you say your bike is 99% stolen :?
        What is it about this bike makes you say it looks very very stolen?
      • gt-arrowhead
        sprite1275 wrote:
        Can't stand thieving farkers so don't line there pockets if it is, even though you say your bike is 99% stolen :?
        What is it about this bike makes you say it looks very very stolen?

Neither can i, but im sure he is not the theif though.

No one has a carrera subway in that state that this one is in. It is unrideable and half the components are missing. And he said he would think about selling it to me for £20. If it was his carrera he would obviously say no to £20...
      • russyh
        russyh Posts: 1,375
        Dude I am a bit disapointed that you would even think about buying a stolen bike. If people are buying bikes that have been stolen and they are aware of it, then the thieving scum bags will keep stealing them. They are the absolute pits and need thier bollox crushing so they cant bring other thieving peasants into the world!
      • njee20
        njee20 Posts: 9,613
        If your sole basis for thinking its stolen is that it's a bit haggard I'd avoid a career in the police.
      • The Rookie
        The Rookie Posts: 27,812
        Thieves don't tend to steal rough looking bikes, they want something clean looking (even if it's a rubbish bike) they can shift on fast...
        Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
      • njee20
        njee20 Posts: 9,613
        And I'd say about 90% of Halfords bikes probably end up in a similar state!
      • rrsodl
        rrsodl Posts: 486
        chez_m356 wrote:
        RRSODL wrote:

+1
        +2
          look out of your window
          misc025.gif

Haha. Not even if i strip for spares and sell the frame?

This might sound a bit harsh but there's no excuse for what he is proposing. The OP strikes me like if the offer for £20 was accepted he'd go ahead with it.

The forum should ban members like this guy.
        • 97th choice
          . My Arrowhead was 99% stolen and ive had no troubles with that.
          [/quote]

Then you're no better than any thief.

Giant Trance
          Radon ZR 27.5 Race
          Btwin Alur700
          Merida CX500
        • gt-arrowhead
          . My Arrowhead was 99% stolen and ive had no troubles with that.

Then you're no better than any thief.[/quote]

I have no proof that its stolen...might not be, but its just my opinion that it could have been stolen. The person who i got it off has a dad that works in a dump so it might not have been stolen. I just thought it was...

And thats quite a wide statement...Im not the one stealing bikes. The only bike i ever stole was my own bike that someone stole, so i stole it back!, and if i had solid proof that it was stolen, for example i saw him steal it, then i wouldnt go near it...
        • gt-arrowhead
          RRSODL wrote:

This might sound a bit harsh but there's no excuse for what he is proposing. The OP strikes me like if the offer for £20 was accepted he'd go ahead with it.

• gt-arrowhead
          RRSODL wrote:

I can see where people are coming from saying that its all wrong doing this. Im not the sort of person that benefits from stolen goods KNOWINGLY. I have no proof that its stolen, and the person who has it is a very decent person.

And ive given up on this now. (not just saying this to make me seem good). Im buying a couple of second hand parts from a forum member which amounts to around £20, and i want my own bike done.
          Even If i were to get this it would just be in my garden for AGES waiting to be mended.
        • gt-arrowhead
          njee20 wrote:
          If your sole basis for thinking its stolen is that it's a bit haggard I'd avoid a career in the police.

LOL. You will understand my logic if you lived in London for about...a week? :lol:

Your statement about the halfords bikes is absolutely bang on...so maybe you do understand my logic. :lol:
        • gt-arrowhead
          Thieves don't tend to steal rough looking bikes, they want something clean looking (even if it's a rubbish bike) they can shift on fast...

Incorrect...all 4 of my bikes that ive had stolen were ABSOLUTE JUNK and very very rough looking! They wouldnt be any fast shifting on the bikes they stole from me.

I actually regret stealing one back, because now i just have a useless bike in my garden...thats how bad it is :lol:
        • gt-arrowhead
          Russyh wrote:
          Dude I am a bit disapointed that you would even think about buying a stolen bike. If people are buying bikes that have been stolen and they are aware of it, then the thieving scum bags will keep stealing them. They are the absolute pits and need thier bollox crushing so they cant bring other thieving peasants into the world!

I have no proof its stolen though. I just assume that. I dont think the actual seller stole it though, he is a decent person. I know him since he goes to my school.

I do agree with you! Thats a good way to stop it too. :lol: Wouldnt touch it if i knew it was stolen.
        • 97th choice
          So it was 99% stolen, but now it probably isn't, just because people have picked you up on it. And the bike you were thinking of buying was also possibly stolen. But you're not going to buy that one either because people have picked you up on it? Right.

Giant Trance
          Radon ZR 27.5 Race
          Btwin Alur700
          Merida CX500
        • gt-arrowhead
          So it was 99% stolen, but now it probably isn't, just because people have picked you up on it. And the bike you were thinking of buying was also possibly stolen. But you're not going to buy that one either because people have picked you up on it? Right.

Uhm. No? Im saying i have no proof, thats why it possibly isnt...and if i really wanted to i could buy that carrera. Just because people no here are saying things about me being as bad as a theif wouldnt make any difference. People on here wont know would they.

I think my GT was 99% stolen, maybe it is, maybe it isnt...i think it is. But i obviously dont know. And as someone said before in this thread, just because its in a very bad state doesnt necessarily mean its stolen.

And if you dont believe what i said in my previous post about buying 2nd hand parts, ask Supersonic...im giving him £22 for some parts. I agreed with him about the parts after i made this thread. And Id rather have those parts to finish my build, than a whole bike which would need even more money to fix. And potentially could be stolen.
        • Torres
          Torres Posts: 1,266
          I think my GT was 99% stolen, maybe it is, maybe it isnt...i think it is.

Sorry fella, I think that's terrible. Irrespective of whether it's stolen or not, you purchased it believing it was.
          What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
        • gt-arrowhead
          Torres wrote:
          I think my GT was 99% stolen, maybe it is, maybe it isnt...i think it is.

Sorry fella, I think that's terrible. Irrespective of whether it's stolen or not, you purchased it believing it was.

I know what you mean. My crappy excuse: I like GTs, it was a mile better than anything i had, and it was a tenner, and i gave it another chance to life...
        • russyh
          russyh Posts: 1,375
          The problem I have buddy, is that you are not really bothered if you recieve stollen goods or not. If I had even a 1% incling that a used bike was stollen I wouls keep well clear. Handling stollen goods with even a 1% suspicion that it was stollen is morally and ethically wrong.
        • gt-arrowhead
          Russyh wrote:
          The problem I have buddy, is that you are not really bothered if you recieve stollen goods or not. If I had even a 1% incling that a used bike was stollen I wouls keep well clear. Handling stollen goods with even a 1% suspicion that it was stollen is morally and ethically wrong.

You are right in saying that mate.

I probably seem like a thief to you know...
        • Chunkers1980
          Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
          My missus loves stollen you know.
        • cooldad
          cooldad Posts: 32,599
          My missus loves stollen you know.
          I know, I always take her one when you're out.
          I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
        • gt-arrowhead
          :lol::lol::lol:

Fuckkkkkkin hell i havent had stollen for years! I want it now youve mentioned it!
        • DanDax1990
          DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
          I hope your bikes get 'stollen'