Reasonably priced carbon fork?

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I am just curious, after having a think and riding a few bikes, I have opted to buy the standard Allez, mainly as the lbs stocks them, they were extremely helpful and the bikes seems to fit like a glove, also as its my first road bike I will have a certain amount of warranty with the shop,

As it doesn't come with a carbon fork I wondered though if there is a reasonably priced carbon fork that will be better than the standard allez fork, I know wheels should maybe be the first upgrade but they will come later in the year :D

Thanks
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Why dont you stick the few extra quid towards it if you're looking to spend on a fork and get the Allez Sport instead?? This will give you the carbon fork, less hastle swapping the headset race over, and upgraded groupset and finishing kit also.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    If you're looking to upgrade it before you've even got it then as suggested above why not get the next model up?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Yeah less than 150 quid more for the sport at Evans.
  • KevChallis
    Yes, its an option, but at the same time I have a budget to stick too, from her indoors lol. I will do some sums and see what I can cone up with.
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis
    ooermissus wrote:
    Yeah less than 150 quid more for the sport at Evans.

Mine shows as £175 more for the sport?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    The Sport's got the new Sora shifters as well. Well worth the extra money.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No brainer, get the sport if it has 2013 Sora and you wast a carbon fork.
    How much would a fork and labour cost anyway? Would have thought that would be just as expensive :roll:
    What would you do with the old steel fork?

The sport looks a nicer colour too (IMO of ones in links above). What colour fork would you get?

Just buy the sport (can you beat LBS up on price?), enjoy riding it and have fun looking at sale wheels when you get the cash ;-)
  • KevChallis
    ooermissus wrote:

These are showing £550 for the standard Allez and £725 for the sport?? On my screen anyway

Yes will see what discounting can try getting at lbs
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ooermissus
    Here's what I see:

jEwE68j.png
  • KevChallis
    How!!!! I would buy it this second if it is that price!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ooermissus
    Dunno - it's weird - maybe give them a call and ask them price match themselves? http://www.evanscycles.com/help/price-match

Where are you surfing from?
  • KevChallis
    edited May 2013
    ooermissus wrote:
    Here's what I see:

jEwE68j.png

There must be discount applied on that?

Surfing on my phone, in Lincoln
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ooermissus
    edited May 2013
    Just what I see when I click the link I sent you. All sizes in stock at that price for next day delivery apart from black/red 49cm which is down as taking 10 days to arrive.

Edit: (Maybe worth asking someone to look from a normal computer - maybe it's some discrepancy between the mobile and the standard site.)
  • KevChallis
    where are you? I havent seen it at that price anywhere?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis
    ah, its not showing VAT on those prices, 604.17+20% is £725
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ooermissus
    Weird.
  • Anonymous
    Still better than £550 + fork cost + labour + colour issues IMO
  • Anonymous
    Tell the LBS you have narrowed it down to the sport or a Triban 5. Say the girlfriend has you on a budget and that you can go for the sport if they can do a straight 10% discount.

Make them understand (nicely) that its either sell a bike at the discount, or not sell the bike. Its up to them then. They might need to offload one that day.

I have never paid list price for a bike so do not think you should be paying the full amount.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Carbonator wrote:

Or do the swap yourself, save the labour which only takes 15 minutes anyway, and sell the old fork on, leaving with more pennies in the pocket.
  • Anonymous
    Carbonator wrote:

Or do the swap yourself, save the labour which only takes 15 minutes anyway, and sell the old fork on, leaving with more pennies in the pocket.

Up for doing that Kev?

Whats the cost of a carbon fork at least as good as one on the sport? £100?

Is there much of a market for bright red, used, steel forks?
  • KevChallis
    Ok, so went to lbs, tested giant defy 3 and the allez sport, this time the defy jumped at me, and I much preferred it over the allez, which is odd, so walked out with a defy 3 for 679, with a £50 helmet, a couple of tubes and water bottle holder, they couldn't discount it but could give me free stuff, just been out on it for a small 4 miles, and I love it!!!! Now to tell the wife I sent more than my budget, haha
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • ooermissus
    Great - glad that worked out and sorry about the confusion with the VAT. Seems the Evans website thinks I am in another country. Enjoy the bike.
  • ooermissus
    Double post. :x
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    sorry just seen you bought the bike glad your happy. dont worry about the wife just dont tell her the full price.