Newbie just brought a new bike!

t1000
t1000 Posts: 11
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi All

Well after putting on quite a few pounds (more like stones) I had the idea of getting out my old MTB and doing a few miles, the bike in question is a hand me down from my brother a Giant Boulder which weighs a ton and the gears are about as smooth as 100 grit. I had not been on a bike for what must have been about 20 years, I absolutely shat myself the first couple of times out as I was mainly on the road, I also forgot how enjoyable cycling is and knackering. Anyway after the last time out and I decided a new bike was required, the bug has well and truly bit me. I popped to Halfords had a look etc read loads of threads etc but I pretty much thought that on my budget £300 to £400.00 I had settled on the Rockrider 5.3, well I popped in Decathlon tonight and I liked the 5.3 but then I saw the 8.0 in orange and I could not resist. I cant believe how bloody light they are and I love the orange and black paint, pick it up on Tuesday, couldn't fit it in the car tonight and I'm anal and wanted a new one that no one has sat on!
I cant wait to get it!
Big Hello from me, so far I've learnt loads of this forum.

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Just Googled it - that orange and black colourscheme does look great.
  • Profisheruk
    Profisheruk Posts: 10
    I know the feeling. I am also just getting back into cycling after not being on a bike for around 8 years. I know what you mean about roads. They are scarey at first. I'm lucky where I live as I live right on a canal tow path .
    The bike I have just now is only an old townsend which I bought 10 years ago but it has very low mileage and weighs a ton but who cares !!! It gets me out on the tow paths and gets me fit.
    My plan is to get my weight back down to 12st 7lb . Currently I am 13st 5lb so not long to go hopefully.
    I am thinking of upgrading my bike but I am going to wait till the coming winter to see what bargains are around. Oh forgot to add I'm 38 years old so no spring chicken lol
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    12st 7????

Watch out for high winds!!! :P :P
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • t1000
    t1000 Posts: 11
    I can only dream of being 12st!
  • Profisheruk
    Profisheruk Posts: 10
    Bishbosh10 wrote:
    12st 7????

Don't see what's funny about this? It's the bmi weight for someone my height!!
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    Bishbosh10 wrote:
    12st 7????

Don't see what's funny about this? It's the bmi weight for someone my height!!

It is just jealousy for those of us that haven't got a hope in hell of weighing that! ;)
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I'd need a whole load of pies to weigh 12 stone 7, lol.