Padded bib shorts .. Best padding?

Philly8mt
Philly8mt Posts: 552
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I'm pretty new at this so it's not a shock that my arse was in bits at the end of a fifteen mile jaunt the other day!

I was wearing some Decathlon bib shorts (no5). I've just seen that they now do a number 9 for £49.00 which presumably will save my ass a little. Anyone used em?

Or ... Any other recommends (at a reasonable cost) ??????
Still thinking of something clever to say!

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    The good news is you'll get less sensitive as you ride more.

Otherwise, shorts padding varies a lot. Usually the more you spend, the better they get and I am willing to spend good money there as I will see the most benefit.

I have some Altura Stream shorts that cost me £15. They are OK for about 2hrs, then I want to get off. Figured I needed to stop being tight, so I bought some Endura FS260 Pro shorts for £55. Wow, I could ride all day in those!

I've never seen Decathlon shorts, but the no.9 may be similar to the FS260. The padding feels denser and has more thickness in strategic areas, that's what is making the difference.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Philly8mt
    I do hope so! I felt great after .... No pain from my Achillies or older football injuries, everything else felt good and was a brilliant location. I'm not the most confident around traffic so the area was a fantastic place to go. I know 15 miles is bugger all to some on here but it's a start and I'LL BE BACK ;)

As for shorts ... You are spot on, you get what you pay for I guess. I'll look out for the Endura shorts thanks.
    With the amount I've spent already recently on my new interest I was thinking around the £50.00 mark (this time) lol.
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    Hi. Go for dhb pro bibshorts, bib shorts are beter as they dont move about so much when your riding, check your seat angle and height as this can help,but the best advice i was given was if you dont ride enough then your bum will get sore, Stay with it, it is worth it in the end. Happy riding.
  • Philly8mt
    Keep hearing good stuff about dhb stuff so will look at Wiggles site.
    Def sticking at it .. Had a great time out in the Vale of Belvoir ;)
  • c-mac
    c-mac Posts: 30
    I bought some DHB Pro Race when they had an extra 20% off. They are good bibs and the padding is much better than the £10 muddy fox shorts I started with (no surprise!).
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    I started in October and picked up these shorts for £50:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-race-cycling-bib-short/

I haven't got anything to compare the padding to, but it seems pretty dense to me and is still going strong (also got a lot of good reviews on wiggle). To be honest I now own a lot of dhb stuff and find all of it to be good value for money.
  • Philly8mt
    Another vote for DHB .. Thanks guys .. Took a look at the pro race ones for about 65.00 ish quid. Reckon I'll get em ordered sooner rather than later ;)
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I saw a lot of riders using DHB shorts on my first Sportive, it's gotta say something about them IMO :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Ive got some of these, for £25 you cannot go wrong, great quality. Ive done a 90 mile ride in them and had no problems..... definitely worth a pop

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 49566.html
  • feemackenzie
    feemackenzie Posts: 130
    DHB all the way.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    DHB all the way.

This. Aeron Pros are amazing.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Philly8mt
    I checked PBK but the only sizes left at tht price were xxxl !!!

It's gonna be DHB chaps ... You can't all be wrong (I hope) ;)
  • Philly8mt
    dave02 wrote:
    Hi. Go for dhb pro bibshorts, bib shorts are beter as they dont move about so much when your riding, check your seat angle and height as this can help,but the best advice i was given was if you dont ride enough then your bum will get sore, Stay with it, it is worth it in the end. Happy riding.

Bottom update ...

Went out yesterday with mate again, different route and roads weren't quite as smooth tbh .. But .. My ass is fine ;)