Best ride I've done yet!

Mikey41
Mikey41 Posts: 690
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I feel like I've really turned a corner. I'm training for my second Sportive, which will be 60 miles.

My first one was 50 miles, but I was not that well prepared even though I made it round the course. I figured that my pacing really hadn't helped me, as I usually set off, feel strong and end up attacking the early miles too much. I needed to practice pacing myself better.

Yesterdays ride was 42 miles with 2200ft climbing, and I knew I had to make myself ignore speeds and save energy for the climbs, which were mostly in the middle of the ride. This time it worked, I didn't have to stop on any climb, even the surprise one that was 20% when RWGPS claimed it was only 14%. It wasn't easy and it wasn't fast, but I got up there! :D That was a massive boost and I was even more surprised to find I had covered the distance in only 3hrs 5mins moving time! I had planned two stops for a bite to eat as I figured it would take me 4 hrs.

The 60 mile Sportive supposedly has 2600ft climbing. If that's correct, then it looks like it's game on! :D

A big thankyou to everyone on here who gives advice. I could not have progressed this far without it. 8)

http://app.strava.com/activities/51915792

I even had my camera on as a test, so here is that 20%er:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAoiia9VPvE
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Well done. One day I hope to be at that level.
    Living MY dream.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Nice one. Its a good feeling when you know you are improving. I had a nice ride on Wednesday night. Did almost 38 miles in just over 2 hours at an average speed of 18.3 mph, which is by far my briskest pace over a two hour period. I still feel I had more to give which is a good sign heading into busy period for Sportives.

http://app.strava.com/activities/51781074

It looks like you are in great shape for your next Sportive. well done and keep it up.
  • Mikey41
    VTech wrote:
    Well done. One day I hope to be at that level.
    You can be, keep going :)

Nice speeds Calpol! I won't be matching that just yet!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • VTech
    I'm sitting at around 12mph so way off the pace but at least I have room to improve :)
    Living MY dream.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done mikey,thats a cracking ride.keep us updated on the sportive.

Like the vid as well.What camera you use :?:
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Mikey41
    elderone wrote:
    GoPro. Got it slung under the bars with a K-Edge mount.

Actually, there's a lot more flex in those bars than it feels :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Stewpot407
    Stewpot407 Posts: 97
    Great effort well done, I'm at about the same level as you. Doesn't it feel great 'going over the top' :)

Cheers

Stew

PS... I almost threw up last night at the top (first cat4) http://app.strava.com/activities/51987091
    An aging Trek 5500 OCLV
    Not so aging Pina Dogma (AK61)
  • elderone
    Mikey41 wrote:
    elderone wrote:
    GoPro. Got it slung under the bars with a K-Edge mount.

Actually, there's a lot more flex in those bars than it feels :lol:
    Nice one,I thought about getting one but the editing put me off.keep posting them up as it,s cool to watch.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Well done so far ... Great effort.

Exactly where I want to be! Gives me a little more inspiration.

Cheers fella :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Well done on your ride, would you be able to post a picture of the camera on your bike?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    I'm sitting at around 12mph so way off the pace :)

But at least you're honest mate :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Nice one. Good vid as well, enjoyed that. Enjoy the sportive, you'll crack it no problem.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    I think weve all been there on a steep hill, out of the saddle running out of puff and then having to sit back down and hope you make the last yards.
  • Mikey41
    Yep, felt good getting to the top though. I'd have shouted for joy if I'd had any breath left :D

It was a gorgeous day for a ride though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTOvN02ldVw
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41
    Photo of the camera mounting.

8707216897_d234ebec2d_z.jpg
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41
    Another good result today!

44 miles, but this time I went for more climbing and had some really long ones as well as short steep ones. Managed to find another absolute beauty :roll: by accident. It starts off at about 5% and gets slowly steeper over 0.3 miles then kicks up to 18% at the top. Ouch.

I also hurt myself after 6 miles with a comedy unclipping fail at an uphill junction. Unclipped the left, fell to the right :oops: much to the amusement of the lady in the Ka. She did at least not start laughing straight away. No damage other than a grazed elbow... again, so carried on with the ride as planned.

Saw loads out on their bikes, was caught by another roadie and we had a nice chat for a few miles until we headed in opposite directions. So if the guy on the Kuota in the Cofidis kit is on here, thanks for the chat :D

Felt pretty good at the end, so confidence is now high for 60 miles 8)

http://app.strava.com/activities/52693660
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    excellent. great vids too - the 'fast bits' look like some fantastic roads.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    VTech wrote:
    I'm sitting at around 12mph so way off the pace but at least I have room to improve :)
    The good thing about being slow and unfit (and here I'm talking about myself not you) is that you can see a steady improvement almost every ride.

I have been going on a short training route and using Strava to track my performance. I can see my times dropping almost every time I go out and I feel better each time. There is a short but reasonably steep (12%) hill on my route. The first time I went up it I had to get off. The second I thought I was going to be sick. The third time I was just puffing and panting and now I feel I could keep going twice as long. I'm not ready for the Alpe d'Huez just yet but my fitness and strength are both heading in the right direction and it's a pleasure to feel myself progress all the time.
  • Mikey41
    excellent. great vids too - the 'fast bits' look like some fantastic roads.
    Yep, if you like going up and down all the time, this is the place :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41
    And there we are. 60 miles completed! (well, 59.8, but I had to ride back and forward to the car park twice, so I'm calling it 60 :P )

Climbing turned out to be 4500ft, with most of it coming from mile 35 onwards including a brutal 5 mile climb at mile 50 :shock:

By the time I dragged myself (slowly) to the top of that, my legs were about finished and I was so glad that the last 2 miles were all downhill. But I did much better than my first one, the difference was huge. I was amazed to find I still had power left to climb the steepest section of the final climb in one go, though I did have to take a couple of breaks as it seemed to go on forever.

Made a new friend though, we kept each other company from the first feed stop, helped the miles pass quicker and spurred each other on when we were flagging at the end. Thanks Steve :)

Well pleased with that ride :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/55113999
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Definitely ok to call it 60. The 50 mile hill sounds like a real challenge, well done :D
  • elderone
    Nice one mikey,cracking ride and keep going with the improvements as they are a great motivator.Cant wait until my first sportive in a few weeks.
  • VTech
    Wicked ride there mate, you keep getting better and better.
    Living MY dream.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Mikey41 wrote:
    And there we are. 60 miles completed! (well, 59.8, but I had to ride back and forward to the car park twice, so I'm calling it 60 :P )

Climbing turned out to be 4500ft, with most of it coming from mile 35 onwards including a brutal 5 mile climb at mile 50 :shock:

By the time I dragged myself (slowly) to the top of that, my legs were about finished and I was so glad that the last 2 miles were all downhill. But I did much better than my first one, the difference was huge. I was amazed to find I still had power left to climb the steepest section of the final climb in one go, though I did have to take a couple of breaks as it seemed to go on forever.

Made a new friend though, we kept each other company from the first feed stop, helped the miles pass quicker and spurred each other on when we were flagging at the end. Thanks Steve :)

Well pleased with that ride :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/55113999

Without looking at the Strava link I know exactly the route you did yesterday -- because I did it too :D. That 5 mile climb was brutal wasn't it, it just kept going and going and going, it looked flat, but it wasn't :o. I thought I was doing well until after the 35 mile food stop, but after that I was suffering the entire way!

PS. I did a couple of laps to the car park and back to make sure it was 100km ;)

http://app.strava.com/activities/55093322
  • Mikey41
    It felt like a never-ending climb :D I loved the route though and I hope that one becomes a regular event. I might be able to tackle the 90 mile next year :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • gazhilla
    gazhilla Posts: 48
    Cracking riding, well done . That climb looks brutal!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Mikey41 wrote:
    It felt like a never-ending climb :D I loved the route though and I hope that one becomes a regular event. I might be able to tackle the 90 mile next year :)

Hope so! I wasn't sure if I was going to go, as it's a nearly 2 hour drive for me to get there, but it was well worth it :D

Still there's plenty more local events, I'm doing Wetherby to Filey, but then there's sportives starting in Ponteland, Hexham, Durham as well as Seahouses to Tynemouth.