Stubborn Powerlink

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to open the KMC powerlink from a 10speed KMC chain and the little bugger will not budge. Have tried squashing and twisting it but the thing won't separate. Any ideas? The chain is not old.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Use the tool or mole grips pressing on each corner can push it off
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    take it you dont have the tool then

pop 2 small screwdrivers or similar thin bars through either side of the link and then use 2 pairs of pliers to compress the link

hth
  • aidso
    Thank you, that worked. I had to use gloves, pliers and the screw driver method...I've the strength of a 4yr old girl :P
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not all 10spd links are reusable.

read the info on KMCs webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    aidso wrote:
    Thank you, that worked. I had to use gloves, pliers and the screw driver method

doesn't sound right.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    The KMC links are a b*tch to get on and off! Can only be used 3x's, that's for the 9spd not sure for 10spd as Nick says look on their webby for info
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • aidso
    Yeah on the back of the pack it says max of three times for the 10L (chain I have) so will grab a few proper powerlinks during the week. Finally getting my race bike in order and going down the route of keeping one chain with a particular set of wheels/cassette and swapping them out each week.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    Make sure you get the KMC links, seen a few folk saying the sram ones don't work aswell with them, not tried one yet but im sure i will soon once the mrs snaps another chain
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Jimbob_no5 wrote:
    The KMC links are a b*tch to get on and off! Can only be used 3x's, that's for the 9spd not sure for 10spd as Nick says look on their webby for info
    again KMC do reusable and non reusable links for all speeds.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Jimbob_no5 wrote:
    Amazing that the links can count though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • aidso
    Can I use a 9spd SRAM powerlink on a 10spd KMC X10L chain (replacing the KMC link)? Google is giving me conflicting answers.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No you can't. 10s is different width.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    aidso wrote:
    Can I use a 9spd SRAM powerlink on a 10spd KMC X10L chain (replacing the KMC link)? Google is giving me conflicting answers.

It will work to get you home, but I wouldn't leave it on any longer than that.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20