Bike Size advice please

dougie537
dougie537 Posts: 20
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Right.....

I'm new to road bikes and was initially going to buy a new entry level bike. A friend of mine at work is selling a Excellent condition, Specialized Allez Sport (2012) with SPD pedals, and a Cateye Strada Cadence computer for £450 (he is buying a new carbon bike)

The size of the bike is 58 and according to the Specialized web site for my stats im a 56, Will the 2cm difference make a much of a difference, or will I get away with the larger frame ? I've not tried the bike yet but the deal seems too good to miss for someone in my position looking to buy their first roadie.

Cheers

Comments

• dougie537
    I've seen the other recent thread on bike size but didn't want to hijack that post - Sorry about the sort of duplication !
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    how tall are you and what is your leg length? You may get away with it but need a shorter stem and move the saddle forwards. This could make the bike fit better but be less than optimal for pedalling. You could end up with too much weight on your arms. Its certainly a tempting offer but if it makes you uncomfortable then its £450 wasted.
    I think 58's need to be ridden by people 6 ft and above?
    Can you get hold of a 56 and try it alongside his 58, you should see quickly if its not comfortable.
    Mind you, if you are new to road bikes, even a 56 will feel like a long stretch at first.
  • dougie537
    Im 5ft 10/11 and my inside leg is 31
  • xtc_special
    xtc_special Posts: 130
    58cm would be too big for you, i bought a 58cm 2012 Spesh Tarmac and i am 6ft 1/2 inch and the shop thought i could just about get away with it, but they thought a 56cm would have been the better fit for me.
    2014 Ribble Gran Fondo
    2009 Rockhopper Comp