Lastest issue of Mountain Biking UK.

neilrosser
neilrosser Posts: 236
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Theres a great Trail Centre booklet in the latest issue, with good info and maps of where they are in the country. Well worth a read :D
Trek Fuel EX8

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's a terrible read. Get Dirt or Wideopen instead. Two minutes on the web will get you loads more info about trail centres and where they are for free.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    that booklet does annoy me, how on earth Thetford makes the list is beyond me
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I chucked mine straight in the bin. After the last 2 piles or regurgitated crap I didn't want to waste my time reading it!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It's a terrible read. Get Dirt or Wideopen instead. Two minutes on the web will get you loads more info about trail centres and where they are for free.
    +1, they seem to just print the same articles over and over. Though the gear reviews can be useful, but it's nothing you can't research on the net.
    I buy Dirt, it actually contains interesting, well-written articles.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's because you love it.
  • ilovedirt
    Haha, well spotted.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    Shoulda read this thread - I just wasted 4 quid or so on this. What a load of crap, esp the 'Peaty's downhill tips' - thought I might actually learn a thing or two :roll: as for that trail centre guide, it's a cut 'n' paste job from a year or 2 ago - I've already got almost exactly the same thing in the cupboard somewhere.

Going to buy Dirt next time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I've already got almost exactly the same thing in the cupboard somewhere.

Yeah but what about new comers to the sport they won't have the booklet so is possibly useful for them?

I'm not saying the magazine is good, its not. Dirt mag gets my vote.
  • welshkev
    jairaj wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I've already got almost exactly the same thing in the cupboard somewhere.

Yeah but what about new comers to the sport they won't have the booklet so is possibly useful for them?

but there's been so many mistakes in the last 2 that it's almost not worth having it, newcomers or not
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    I've just canceled my sub for MBUK, getting so boring now, they must only aim to sell the mag to an individual for 12 months, then they repeat everything.
    Im done with mags, you can get all the info online for free.
  • welshkev
    RobJ20 wrote:
    I've just canceled my sub for MBUK, getting so boring now, they must only aim to sell the mag to an individual for 12 months, then they repeat everything.

how did you do it? I've been meaning to cancel mine for a while now.
  • ilovedirt
    RobJ20 wrote:
    Aye I've noticed that, was good for a year or so and then got boring
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • MBUK is crap... same stuff every other week with boring articles. Does the "ride guide" still say Cwmcarn has the tunnel and drops? like it did for the past 2 years?

Bought Singletrack for the 1st time on the weekend, not got through it yet, but some decent lengthy articles are keeping me going...

Can't read dirt, too much going on for me... tis like MBUK on acid.

WMB is MBUK written by adults instead of teenagers.

MBR is just dull.
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    +1 for singletrack as northern monkey said good/interesting articles. Wish i had discovered it sooner but always held off buying it as i thought it was all rigid single speed 29ers etc but was pleasantly suprised seems to be less advertiser driven and more about actually getting out and riding.
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    Stopped wasting money of mountain bike magazines in the early 90s
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    welshkev wrote:
    RobJ20 wrote:

how did you do it? I've been meaning to cancel mine for a while now.

Just emailed with my details, then deleted the direct debit.
  • welshkev
    What email address? As when I looked I could only see a postal address :?
  • welshkev
    Cheers Ben :)
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    Cancelling mine too, going to give Dirt a go :)
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Just cancelled mine too.

Tried "cyclist" the other week and am now going to subscribe to that instead. I appreciate it's a roadie mag (and a very new one at that, only been around 9 issues), but the MTB mags could learn a lot from them. Great articles, well written and when I'm reading it, I don't get the impression it's just a 200 page advert. If/when they release a MTB version of it, I'll be adding that to my subs too.
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    you get a forum and some sound advice from this site?

so if you all stop buying the mag it will all disappear and you wont have owt to moan about??

me i quite like the mag but wife pays for it so excelent value if you ask me lol
  • welshkev
    lon 456 wrote:

so if you all stop buying the mag it will all disappear and you wont have owt to moan about??

me i quite like the mag but wife pays for it so excelent value if you ask me lol

How will this all disappear? Mbuk don't own this forum!

And last I heard there was freedom of speech on public forums. I think what most people have said us valid. I've read most of the features in mbuk before. I understand there's only so many features/tests that can be done before they get repetitive. But the free trail centre guide (which is what this thread started about) isn't great.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I also cancelled my subscription to MBUK last month, have got about 6 copies still in their wrappers. All reviews seem to go same way, but I suppose it's inevitable that the reviewers will have their preferences as we all do.

I had no luck emailing them, had to call. Think it's pretty poor show that you can't cancel online or by email when you can subscribe online.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    welshkev wrote:
    lon 456 wrote:

And last I heard there was freedom of speech on public forums. I think what most people have said us valid. I've read most of the features in mbuk before. I understand there's only so many features/tests that can be done before they get repetitive. But the free trail centre guide (which is what this thread started about) isn't great.

sorry forgot to put my anal hat on :oops:

forums are so what ever :roll:
  • welshkev
    lon 456 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    lon 456 wrote:

sorry forgot to put my anal hat on :oops:

forums are so what ever :roll:

Post that in the crud catcher so I can post a proper answer!

And sorry I found flaws in your 'argument'

It wasn't meant as a dig at you btw. :roll:
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    The Trail centre book is crap. Just a repeat of last year. They could at least alternate every two years. 1 year trail centres, 2nd year natural trails. A book for natural trails would be more useful by far!!!
  • TheNorthernTrain
    TheNorthernTrain Posts: 1,049
    lbalony wrote:
    The Trail centre book is crap. Just a repeat of last year. They could at least alternate every two years. 1 year trail centres, 2nd year natural trails. A book for natural trails would be more useful by far!!!

MBR used to do one every year with the best routes they had done, don't know if they still do. Got one in 2007 and haven't seen one since. Think there was one in 08 as well but never saw it to buy.

Some cracking routes in there, everything from short 10 miles loops to big all day rides. If anyone happens to have one they don't want i'd gladly take it off their hands.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    ilovedirt wrote:

I must be getting old, some of the stuff in there is real cod philosophy drivel with little to do with riding bikes. The standard of writing is so poor I sometimes can't tell if they like a reviewed product or not. It has nice photos and some good insight into the race scene though.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    lochussie wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

I must be getting old, some of the stuff in there is real cod philosophy drivel with little to do with riding bikes. The standard of writing is so poor I sometimes can't tell if they like a reviewed product or not. It has nice photos and some good insight into the race scene though.

Def don't buy it for product reviews. They normally do a bike review - which is...a bike review

More interesting are the profiles they do on riders, photographers, film makers, frame builders and other people in the industry also some great write-ups on different locations all over the world..just a much broader view then 'the other mags'...and yeah some great shots
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8