New Canyon, seat post scratched. HELP !!!

badogblue
badogblue Posts: 20
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got my new canyon nerve al today and on building it, the seat post got scratched. The seat post went in fine, but on removing it, I could feel it getting scratched. :cry:

I assume there must be something scraping it in the seat tube? This is a brand new bike and I checked that the seat tube and post were greased, which they were.

What do you think, will I have to return the whole bike back to canyon (Germany)?

photo1_zpsb3e9c9cc.jpg

Comments

• arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    You've learnt the hard way only to insert it as far as you need to, start high and lower it until you get the right seat height. I can understand your pain but it's only cosmetic and the bike will soon pick up scrapes as you use it. It's ott to send it back, it would be cheaper to buy a new post, it's not Canyon's fault so they won't be picking up the tab?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Email Canyon; they gave me some cash back for frame scratches that I wasn't even too fussed about.
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    Make sure that seat post tube is free from any burrs or machining arising, if there are any then Canyon may be more receptive towards a bit of pay back. I'm n ot trying to be condescending but it does pay to check for swarf or burrs before assembly.
  • badogblue
    badogblue Posts: 20
    Thanks for the replies.
    You've learnt the hard way only to insert it as far as you need to

Surely this cant be right, does this mean I can never remove my seat post!
    JohnBurt wrote:
    Make sure that seat post tube is free from any burrs or machining arising

How do you recommend locating burrs. I had a quick look before inserting seat post and didn't see/feel any.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seatposts get scratched. Could be that the clamp was too tight when you waggled the post.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    badogblue wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.
    You've learnt the hard way only to insert it as far as you need to
    Surely this cant be right, does this mean I can never remove my seat post!

Don't understand your comment, you can remove it, it probably will get more scratched but when you put it back in at the correct height the scratches will be hidden by the seat tube? The only issue is if you change your seat height during rides to take account of different riding conditions, then it will get scratched up as it will be covered in trail crap. Also if you do this regularly you really want a proper dropper post?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    No reason why the op shouldn't expect his post to operate without scratching, thousands of riders change seat height on every ride without getting scratches like that.

But, based on the way the scratch has arisen something is too tight, as at some point it looks like a bit of wiggling was required!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I got that exact scratch on my nerve seatpost, on the front? I think it's due to a very small protruding burr from the connection between the seat tube and top tube. I filed it down (before installing a rather pricey dropper!) and it's fine now.

Annoying but nothing to worry about.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    Soft cotton cloth or cotton wool is good at finding burrs, it usually snags up on them and you will feel the resistance - just mind your fingers they can be sharp!
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Every seatpost I have is covered in scratches on the rear.

It's just one of those things.
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    hmm seatpost scratched on a MTB??

so when you slam it for a tricky downhill bit at say cannock and its all wet and gritty?? guess what happens to the seatpost......

its an MTB go play