Training for Sportive - am I overdoing it?

clelanj
clelanj Posts: 68
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi - I am 47 and have been getting in shape for my first Sportive (Lincoln 56 mile) which is a week tomorrow.

I took up cycling in Nov last year and improved steadily. Did my first 50 ride last Sunday which I was chuffed to bits with. Until then, we have been hovering around the 30-40 mark.

As well as the big ride last Sunday I also did a steady 20 Tuesday and 45 yesterday. Slightly concerned though as after the 50 and the 45 rides this week I have literally felt physically sick for approx 8 hours afterwards. Sunday's 50 completely drained me as I did it alone - yesterday's 45 was better as was with friends and got home feeling ok. It was only a few hours later that I started to feel lousy!

Has anyone else experienced this with pushing their personal limits and are there any tips to help improve (maybe through diet etc)?

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i have felt sick before after a big ride, get some food and plenty of liquid in once you get in, but also are you drinking and eating enough while out?
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    So, you felt physically sick for a long time after Sunday's ride, then went out again and did another ride...followed by another long ride after which you again felt sick.

Probably time that you got the message from your body...BACK OFF. If your ride is a week away then all talk of pushing your boundaries should be stopped since the time for training is now finished.

Your target for the next 7 days should be to avoid injury so that you make the ride on the day. Hence, plan a couple of enjoyable light spins, no more than 20 miles and at least a day or 2 completely clear before the big ride (although maybe a light 20 minutes of easy spinning on the turbo can be done to keep your legs moving and satiate the bug to some degree). When you are more experienced, you can do more (both in intensity and duration) in the week before a big ride but right now your body is saying that you need to take it easy.

Also, agree with the above though, might want to check your hydration/nutrition levels but queasiness is not a good sign in anyone's language.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Plus one... Nothing you can do now will improve how you perform in the sportive. If you have done enough training then taper down to the event with confidence. If you haven't, then you will get round and learn from the experience.

Look up marathon training on the net, I'm sure there is loads about peaking for an event and tapering
  • clelanj
    clelanj Posts: 68
    Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Have been watchful with regards to food and drink intake but maybe still not taking enough liquids on board throughout the ride. What's your view on energy drinks over simple diluted orange juice - could this make a difference as well as lack of volume? Been using energy bars for food and have 3 gels which I will add to my food for the sportive.

Think you are probably spot on Bobbinogs with your assessment. I have already cancelled another fairly large ride for tomorrow and told my riding pals that I am only doing short rides (20miles Tuesday and 10miles Thursday) next week.

Looking forward to it - intend to take it steady and enjoy the whole experience.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Definitely rest as has been said.

Sounds to me as though you are not eating/drinking properly.
    I have to have eaten enough for cycling (unlike running), and hydration is very important.

Nothing major you need to do training wise now so just take it easy and make sure your bike, kit and plans are ready to go.

I would try drinking plenty of water (and no alcohol) in at least the 3 days before the ride, having spag bol the night before, a decent breakfast on the morning and eat drink regularly during the ride.

Maybe the gels you are using do not agree with you.
    I would recommend trying Nuun tablets in your water. Easy to use and I find they taste really nice (cola and fruit punch are my fav that I have tried) and better than squash I think.
    Cliff bars are nice too (especially peanut butter crunch :D ).

Main thing is don't worry, have fun and learn from it ;-)
  • Take the next week off, I am old timer (42 :wink: ) & have been training religiously since jan.
    I just took 6 days off did a 60 miler today and smashed it Strava PR's all over the place then the chain snapped :lol:
    Good luck Sat I have a friend doing the 100miler, the cobbled hill at the end looks a leg burner!!
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I'm the same age (47) and have only been on the road for about 8 months now, and although I have nothing planned (I would like to ride the Manchester 100 this year though :roll: ) I had kind of got fixated with upping my performance as I guess all cyclists do, especially as my sometimes road mates are younger than me by about 10 years!
    I can only ride 3 times a week so have built up to doing 2 rides around 30 miles in the evening and a bigger ride at weekend which I thought I was coping with pretty well.
    But the other week one evening ride just seemed to kill me from start to finish :cry: My legs hurt all the way around and I felt really low, as if I had to be there against my will.
    The next week I cut the evening miles down, and did a pretty flat, reasonably slow 62 on the Saturday and really enjoyed it :D
    This week I felt good to go again thankfully.

We're not young lads any more :roll: :D
    I think the secret is to keep it enjoyable rather than painful, and learn to reign it in a bit when your body says enough! It's only a hobby :mrgreen:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    As the others have said - your training is done - rest until the sportive, just a light, no pressure spin to keep the legs turning would be ok - but only a warm up.

With regards food - dont change what you're eating and drinking - only the volume.. If you have not tried energy products before you will have no idea how your body will react on the day. Stick to what you know, unless you're prepared to take the chance of not finishing due to stomach cramps!