What BB7s would I need?

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
I am getting fed up with constantly adjusting the cheapo shimano disc brakes on my Scourer and am looking at replacing them with some BB7s as they look easier to adjust and apparently are better stoppers. Would I need road or MTB ones? Anyone with experience of the brakes?
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Depends on your levers as drop bar levers pull different amounts of cable to V brake type levers. On a flat bar bike you will probably want the MTB version.
    Hope that makes sense.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Depends on your levers as drop bar levers pull different amounts of cable to V brake type levers. On a flat bar bike you will probably want the MTB version.
    Hope that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense. The scourer is flat bar so I think you are right in that I need MTB ones. Good news as they are a lot easier (and somewhat cheaper!) to get hold of.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I fitted some BB7 mountain calipers on a Marin, in place of the standard v brakes, I used the original Shimano integrated changers/levers, they worked perfectly.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • menthel
    I fitted some BB7 mountain calipers on a Marin, in place of the standard v brakes, I used the original Shimano integrated changers/levers, they worked perfectly.

Thanks, I already have disc brakes but would like ones that don't need adjusting every two seconds otherwise they sound like portable knife sharpeners with the stopping power of a wet tissue!
    RIP commute...
  • thelonegroover
    I think BB7's are generally regarded as the best mechanical disk brakes you can get.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    next on the shopping list
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Yes, BB7s are very good. Only had mine a few weeks and once bedded in they work a treat. Haven't got to the point where I've had to adjust them yet. The front one can get a bit screechy but I think that is down to cleanliness, or lack of when assembling. I need to give it a clean with some isopropyl alcohol, must buy some this weekend.
  • thelonegroover
    Meths will also do the job.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20