Justice

-spider-
-spider- Posts: 2,548
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
Sad, sad, case. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-22397918

He gets 300 hours community service. It seems that causing the death of a cyclist is not really that significant.

And this is not the first time!

Shocking.

-Spider-

Comments

• Extralight
    Extralight Posts: 136
    This is so wrong. Also posts about this here: viewtopic.php?f=40021&t=12919931&p=18296085#p18296085
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    So what the judge seems to be saying is that it is acceptable to "momentarily lose concentration" when driving a 2000kg vehicle, even if you kill an innocent person? I can accept that this was an accident and jail may not be appropriate but a five year ban? It is clear that this man is a mortal danger to cyclists and should never be allowed to drive again.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Yeah, it was the cyclists fault for not wearing a helmet.

That fact wouldn't have mattered a toss if the lorry driver was concentrating on the road.

300 Hours community service for a repeat offender, he got 2years inside first time, god forbid there be a third time, he'd probably get a medal. :evil:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • judges are mostly out of touch a*sewits
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Am I reading this correctly?
    The driver got a lighter sentence because the cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet and was deemed to be partially responsible? (Partially her own fault.) I didn't see the bit about her death being due to head injuries!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    so if i beat this judge to death with a cricket bat, he contributed to it because he wasn't wearing a helmet? if i shoot him, he contributed to it by not wearing body armour?

grrrr

judge must be insane, should be kicked off the bench
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Graham. wrote:
    Am I reading this correctly?
    The driver got a lighter sentence because the cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet and was deemed to be partially responsible? (Partially her own fault.) I didn't see the bit about her death being due to head injuries!
    Go to the link and draw your own conclusions mate.

The judge didn't say the driver was less culpable because the cyclist had no helmet just that the fact she had no helmet contributed to her death.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Same judge+++++

In 2010 Sheriff Scott allowed a 90-year old to continue driving despite the fact she hit a cyclist head-on in broad daylight. The cyclist was wearing hi-vis clothing and was badly injured. Sherriff Scott fined the driver £200 and endorsed her license with six points but did not give her a driving ban. Her name? Lady Risk, wife of Sir Thomas Risk, former Governor of the Bank of Scotland.

-Spider-