Garmin Users

Gb_Rae
Gb_Rae Posts: 42
edited May 2013 in Road general
Anybody had this problem? When I stand up on the bike, normally out of the saddle on a climb whilst slightly leading forward, my Garmin will 'Auto Pause' until I change position and then it will resume again. The Auto Pause is set to 'When Stopped' so not sure why it is pausing? As you can imagine it's most annoying and i don't really want to turn the auto pause off for obvious reasons.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    This doesn't happen to me but may be you are a big fella and are blocking out the satellites!

Fit a wheel magnet and the speed/cadence sensor and the unit will know you are still moving.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    No - I don't have this problem - but a speed cadence sensor setup is more reliable for speed than without.

Turn of AutoPause and see what happens to the speed when you stand up ...

Btw - did you know you can set autopause to come on below a certain speed ... it isn't that you're dropping below that speed when you stand is it?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    edited May 2013
    I was riding up a hill the other day, I looked down at my speed and I knew that I was going quicker than the indicated speed, I'd swapped bikes and I hadn't paired the sensor, so i paired the unit and the speed doubled.

Should've mentioned that the hill was steep, tree lined and covered overhead in places, i don't know whether the trees would effect it but as soon as the unit was paired the Garmin started working correctly.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    A friend of mine has the 800 with speed sensor, he has this problem a lot, but only happens when connected with the speed sensor, is very strange, couldn't work it out
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Check autopause setting.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Gb_Rae
    Gb_Rae Posts: 42
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    This doesn't happen to me but may be you are a big fella and are blocking out the satellites!

Fit a wheel magnet and the speed/cadence sensor and the unit will know you are still moving.

Na I'm not that big :lol:
    I have the Cadence/speed senor fitted already :?:
    Slowbike wrote:
    did you know you can set autopause to come on below a certain speed ... it isn't that you're dropping below that speed when you stand is it?

Yeah I know, it is set to 'when stopped' at the moment but I am definitely moving. I may change it to stop at a certain speed and see if that makes any difference.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have this problem occasionally...when honking uphill in a tree lined narrow lane (Whitedown). Must be the GPS signal not getting through properly. I have the GSC10 sensor too.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    If you have the GSC10 sensor and it's paired then it should not auto-pause until the back wheel stops.

Mine auto-starts when I've wheeled it through the office - no satellite reception in here!

I occasionally sprint on the drops - most definitely above the unit at that time and at no point does it auto-pause ...

Actually - the worst that happens to mine (800) is that it inexplicably turns off ... no noise just look down and it's off ... hold down the power button and it restarts just fine...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Very occasionally when I'm going very slowly it seems to think I've stopped. Also it sometimes starts itself again when I've stopped which is a pain when it's a cake stop!
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    Could be the wheel sensor isn't aligned very well and it's missing every now and then? I find the wheel sensor is particularly sensitive to changes in position. I knocked mine out of place and the only way I could get it back to working reliably was to remove the zipties and start again.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    I had a similar problem with the auto-pause coming on whilst riding. The wheel magnet had become loose and was spinning round on the spoke resulting in an intermittent connection with the sensor.
    Have you checked the wheel magnet?
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    City Boy wrote:
    I had a similar problem with the auto-pause coming on whilst riding. The wheel magnet had become loose and was spinning round on the spoke resulting in an intermittent connection with the sensor.
    Have you checked the wheel magnet?

I've had exactly this too, check the wheel magnet and sensor.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I have also had this - I wonder if it is a slight flex (from weight of your body when out of the saddle) in the wheel which is just enough to make the magnet not get picked up by the sensor.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • I lost over an hour of a four hour ride today, because of Autopause/Autoresume issues. Maybe big hill, tree-lined, GPS issues, but my mates Garmin was not affected.

I adjusted the sensor, but it only settled down some time later.

Bummer - thankfully I still have my Cateye attached.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • slowbike
    Simple test - change the profile on the GPS and it won't pair with the sensor - test it out of the saddle. If it carries on then your sensor is stopping reading when you stand. If it stops then you are a faraday cage ;)