RS forks - removing MoCo spring from pop lock damper.

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just a quick question about removing the spring from the MoCo cartirdige on a Rock Shox damper.

I don't use the lockout at all but doo sometimes like a bit of extra compression damping so thinking of removing the return spring for the pop lock.

Do I need to get a new crown adjuster knob or can I just use current knob? I know it won't be as ergonomic but if will stay in position where ever I set it then that fine with me. I won't be changing it often so a tiny bit off faff to change the setting should be fine.

Just can't be bothered to pay the ~£30 for a crown adjuster knob.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    You can use the original. Maybe just, as you say, a bit harder to turn.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to add a friction ring or it will just do whatever it wants to do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    nicklouse wrote:
    you will need to add a friction ring or it will just do whatever it wants to do.

you mean like a rubber o-ring or similar under the knob?
  • I've unclipped the pushloc spring from my rebas and just put the old knob back on. didn't need a rubber o ring to stop it moving and has been fine for months.

Best thing I've done, pushloc is shite!
  • jairaj
    great thanks all for all your help. time to get the spanners out.

... expect a "I've broken my Moco" thread soon ... :lol:
  • suspended
    suspended Posts: 30
    I've got RS Reba Race (100mm) forks with pushlock on an old hardtail. On about three occasions, the lockout return stopped working because the spring inside the MoCo damper had come adrift from its engagement hole. Solved it by giving the spring a bit of a stretch before refitting it. After that, didn't matter a rat's b*m whether I used the lockout or not. If you need a bit of guidance, this link is a good starting point:

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/topic/4 ... xing-mcds/