Removing pistons from Juicy 7's

Stephenjames
Stephenjames Posts: 47
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, can anyone please help me? Would anyone know of a pump I could use to remove the pistons from a pair of Avid Juicy 7's. I cannot get a good enough seal with my Specialized track or suspension pumps. Has anyone had prior experience with Juicy 7's? The mechanic at my LBS wants £100 to do the job so I thought I would learn to do them myself.

Thanks.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Try harder with your track pump, shock pump volume is far too small.

Make sure lever is lifted (as if it were clamped on a valve), hold tightly over the banjo bolt hole and pump, one or two strokes should do it.
  • OrangeLad
    OrangeLad Posts: 5
    I did a similar job the other week. Guessing you have sticky pistons? I managed to get the one piston out just with pumping the lever and ending up pulling the other out with a pair of pliers. It did damage the piston so had to replace them however I was replacing the seals anyway so just brought a seal and piston kit. When you put it all back together just make sure you use a bit of red rubber grease on the seals and piston. Will make assembly very easy indeed I got a small packet for £1 from the local motorbike store.
  • Big big thanks njee20 and OrangeLad, I didn't have the lever lifted one the track pump the last time I tried, a bit of struggle but managed to get both pistons out. Thanks greatly for the tip, you just saved me £100. Thanks also on the tip for the red rubber grease OrangeLad, will make sure I get some of that.

Thanks once again.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    £100 is outrageous. I'd charge a few pennies for that using a compressor.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You could buy a new Juicy 7 for less than £100!