Walsh talks Chinny

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Not a believer by the sounds of things.

http://sportmagazine.knack.be/sport/nie ... RNBSPRTNLW
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    After Flanders he had this exchange on his TL

Rob Ricketts ‏@robricketts29 31 Mar:
    @PaulKimmage @DavidWalshST as a lifelong cycling fan with recent doping knowledge am i right in being suspicious of flanders performance?

David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST 31 Mar
    @robricketts29 in my view you are 100% right.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242

@PaulKimmage @DavidWalshST as a lifelong cycling fan with recent doping knowledge am i right in being suspicious of flanders performance?

Interesting. Walsh doesn't tend to bandy accusations about without some hard evidence.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Not that either of these guys have a vested interest in rumour mongering ...

Fab wins, story in Belgium, Italy, maybe Switzerland ...

Fab dopes ... Generic doping story in UK press with a proven winner to back up what is essentially a puff piece ...

These two arseholes can just f' off in my opinion ... adding nothing to the sport at all ... in it for the money more so than any doper ...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    DeadCalm wrote:

Interesting. Walsh doesn't tend to bandy accusations about without some hard evidence.

No, but despite my own reservations about Chinny I won't be accepting Walsh as an authority until he can back things up with some evidence. I don't think it's fair on any rider to say "I've heard things" unless you tell us a) what things you've heard and b) how you can verify they're true. That's the bare minimum, all else is just mud-flinging and rumour-mongering.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Why should anyone listen to Walsh? All he does is bandy about detailed allegations backed up by eye witness testimony in a thoroughly researched book which turn out to be correct.

What we want is opinion, not facts
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Why should anyone listen to Walsh? All he does is bandy about detailed allegations backed up by eye witness testimony in a thoroughly researched book which turn out to be correct.

Trouble is the testimony comes from those with failed business deals, dopers looking for a short-cut back to,the peleton or a book to promote ...

As I mentioned above, hardly a lack of motivation to point the finger ...
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    oneof1982 wrote:

Trouble is the testimony comes from those with failed business deals, dopers looking for a short-cut back to,the peloton or a book to promote ...

As I mentioned above, hardly a lack of motivation to point the finger ...

My point was simply that on the big one, Walsh was right. There was nothing that came out in the UCI report, other than the crushed cole can that Walsh hadn't already documented.

Now of course that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect the same level of evidence should he be making other serious allegations
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    I despair of you lot, all this time on the Internet and none of you has realised the obvious real point of what Walsh is doing - trying to deflect attention from his paymasters at Sky.

the above may not be my real opinion
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Erm... could the Walsh reply not also be construed to mean that he believes we should be suspicious of all winning performances and that @robricketts29 is "100% right" to be suspicious based on cycling's history, rather than FC's performance in particular? Along the lines of "don't trust, then verify"?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Erm... could the Walsh reply not also be construed to mean that he believes we should be suspicious of all winning performances and that @robricketts29 is "100% right" to be suspicious based on cycling's history, rather than FC's performance in particular? Along the lines of "don't trust, then verify"?

No. Not according to a google translate on the article linked above at any rate.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So I've heard a couple of bits. As have a lot of others.

Trained by Cecchini

Ferreti, Riis and Bruyneel teams. Would anyone really be surprised?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:

Trained by Cecchini

To be honest, I'd be surprised if he was clean. There's a difference between me saying that and Walsh doing so though.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    No way was Fabian (Or should we call him Luigi?.. ;) ) clean at CSC. He has been mentioned enough in various stories that Walsh is in every right to be suspicious.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    iainf72 wrote:

Trained by Cecchini

To be honest, I'd be surprised if he was clean. There's a difference between me saying that and Walsh doing so though.
    I'd hope that he would be certain before making accusations but on re-reading the tweets and the article it seems as though he is saying no more than there are grounds for suspicion which, given what is out there in the public domain, is probably reasonable. It looks as though he may have gone on to clarify things in the interview but they didn't print the follow up in the teaser which, with my cynical head on, suggests to me that it was a lot less controversial than the initial statement and thus less likely to result in sales for the magazine.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    fabian got a big fat 0 in the uci index of suspicion from tdf 2010

which presumably means his blood profile is beyond reproof

maybe he's genuine.
  • powerbookboy
    powerbookboy Posts: 241
    dave milne wrote:
    fabian got a big fat 0 in the uci index of suspicion from tdf 2010

which presumably means his blood profile is beyond reproof

maybe he's genuine.

I can spot at least 3 other confirmed dopers in the 0 bracket with him. Bearing in mind that's also a race that's not one of his big targets, I would expect his values wouldn't be wildly off his baseline. Be dim if they were...

Journalists have I'm sure access to a great deal more "off-the-record" information that they can't publish, but all of which will colour their perceptions of certain riders. Looks like Walsh has heard stuff that he doesn't like.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Just read the story but via Google translate& it suggests that he does say he has heard things. Not sure what I feel as if he has no evidence he could end up sounding like his former colleague if he goes down the route of 'well everyone knows it and you need to prove your not". I know there have been rumours surrounding him before but nothing has come of it (yet) so guess time will tell if this gains any momentum or just remains as is.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Go Cancellara. If my photosite was working I would post some incredible photos. Photogenic to the extreme.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Go Cancellara. If my photosite was working I would post some incredible photos. Photogenic to the extreme.

Therefore he must be clean :wink: