Winchester ride – The Venta – this Sunday

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I know this route quite well and it is stunning, but there is no way I am going to manage 75 miles with Combe Gibbet as a pipe clearer half way round.

It’s 25, 45 and 75 miles, but families are going to have a challenge: you have to go up the hill past Merdon Castle right at the start.

Still, I don’t think the countryside in Hampshire gets any better than this. It hould be a fun day.

http://www.renewable-eco-home.com/Cycling/

Comments

• marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I am signed up for the 75 in preperation for 100miles in 2 weeks time! Their website says:

75 mile “True Grit” Again this is a gentle ride to build stamina in the more able athletes at this time of year.

I noted the wording 'gentle ride'!?????????? Hopefully the hills are not too bad, I am used to riding South Downs 50 / 60 miles, are these 2 hills as bad as Butser (Harvesting lane) East Meon?

Looking forward to it none the less and the forecast looks great.

Any idea how many food stops there are?
  • bice
    I was helping setting out the course today. It is a challenge: 75 miles from Hursley to Ham and Combe Gibbet, although from there it is all downhill down the Test Valley. Really beautiful countryside.

I think I will do the 45 miler ... at my level of fitness after winter.

There are two food stations, and the organisers are determined that this Venta first be as professional as a Wiggle one.

I really hope you enjoy it. I don't think there is a more attractive route in Hampshire.
  • marcusww
    Sounds good, I've seen the route, any idea of total elevation on the 75 miler?
  • marcusww
    Hi did you manage to do the 45 mile? Or did they send you the wrong way on to the long route? Did you manage to get back or what? Tell us your experience.

I was doing the long route and they sent us on the short route at the split by mistake! We found this out at the feed stop (the supposed last one) - althought the group I was in did think it odd we were heading east at this stage (none of us had GPS). After speaking with the organisers we decided to take a short cut back to the original split then carried on. Then at the A303 there was another cock up - where the route was planned through a closed road due to Thruxton races being on - apparently the police took a sign down so off we were again heading on to the road to nowhere! It was by luck we met other cyclists turning back who told us there were no signs for the next 5 miles. We turned round and headed back to the A303 sign then by luck the marshalls turned up and had to tell us what road to travel down. Also we found that they had changed the route alongside the A303 the night before and did not alter it on the internet GPX file or tell anyone at the (none existant) briefing!

Anyway we carried on and got to the correct 1st food stop (which should have been 40 miles in! - for us 60) at the top of Coomb Gibbet which had almost run out of water! Perhaps next time they could make foods stops roughly equidistant? The 2nd and last food stop was 8 miles before the end.

It was a massive cock up but ended up doing 93 miles, met some great people and really enjoyed it!

PS the route is excellent and will do it again (I Think!)
  • bice
    Yes, there were certainly some cock-ups: some self-inflicted but the other event at Thruxton which involved road closures was a nasty surprise. All the (major) problems could have been avoided with a photocopy of a map being given to each rider.

Commercial outfits – I don't want to single out Wiggle – certainly do these things more professionally and the income raised is considerable (£115,000 revenues from two rides, I am assured). But I prefer the more amateur ones, especially if they have a community / charity objective.

Anyway, I thought it was a great day. The organisers did salvage 45-milers who ended up on the 75 mile route. I did not encounter anyone really unhappy and the route is one of the best of all.