Racing

bgfalll123
bgfalll123 Posts: 50
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hey i am 22 and i would love to get into racing my bike ... ( ATM i just ride for fun and fitness.)

Any ideas how i can get into racing ?

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    think best thing is ride with your local club and take it from there, think basically anyone can race a cat 4 race but i know i wouldnt be fast enough lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    ianbar wrote:
    think best thing is ride with your local club and take it from there, think basically anyone can race a cat 4 race but i know i wouldnt be fast enough lol

+1

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

From a safety perspective (yours and others) get some experience of group riding/chaing gangs before arriving at a race. Most clubs should have a few seasoned racers that will give you some pointers and advice about holding a wheel, going thorough and off, etc. These skills can be picked up quite easily on a club run. You then just need to think about doing them quicker in a race :)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Contact a local club, do a few club time trials. That will show U roughly where ur fitness is. And TTing is brilliant training in its own right, if done properly

A club will give U the advice U need for bunch or track racing
    jc
  • bgfalll123
    Thanks guys i am going to look for a local club. My local,local club is full of 65-75 year old tube shifting blokes who remember the good ollll days

I can confirm i have won a fair few sprints against those guys :lol:

cheers.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    bgfalll123 wrote:
    Thanks guys i am going to look for a local club. My local,local club is full of 65-75 year old tube shifting blokes who remember the good ollll days

I can confirm i have won a fair few sprints against those guys :lol:

cheers.

You'll learn from them than anyone else i reckon. If you can, try and look for a club with a Go Ride affiliation.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Where are you? perhaps people could suggest suitable clubs for you
  • bgfalll123
    I live in Hertfordshire ! Thanks
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've been blogging away on getting into racing myself, as at first it feels quite tricky to get into! Some of it might prove useful..

http://ctoc3.wordpress.com/
  • bgfalll123
    iPete wrote:
    I've been blogging away on getting into racing myself, as at first it feels quite tricky to get into! Some of it might prove useful..

http://ctoc3.wordpress.com/

Looks really interesting thanks ! Will give it a read tonight. :)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Ride with the fast guys of a local club (as others have said). You'll meet some racers through that I'm sure. Start interval training...anyone can ride around at a 21MPH average its the pace change you need to be able to handle.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    "Anyone can ride around at a 21MPH average"
    Not if you're me you can't.
    Ludicrous statement.
  • NewTTer
    edited May 2013
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Ludicrous statement.
    Perfectly valid and accurate statement. This thread is about racing remember, most Go Race events which is the absolute bottom of the pile will return ave race speeds of 23-24mph, but as pointed out it is the change of pace that hurts
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    DavidJB wrote:
    Ride with the fast guys of a local club (as others have said). You'll meet some racers through that I'm sure. Start interval training...anyone can ride around at a 21MPH average its the pace change you need to be able to handle.

I can't. My 10 TTs average 20mph :roll:
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    NewTTer wrote:
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Ludicrous statement.
    Perfectly valid and accurate statement. This thread is about racing remember, most Go Race events which is the absolute bottom of the pile will return ave race speeds of 23-24mph, but as pointed out it the change of pace that hurts

"Bottom of the pile" is a bit harsh, a better choice of phrase would be that it is a leaner orientated event for those with no points or license to sample racing before stepping up. The etiquette and confidence may not always be there but there are often some very handy first timers there so don't be so snobby.

You are absolutely correct about changes in pace though. I average around 25 for a TT but have done road races that average 25 and been wrecked after because that has been up hills at 15 and then onto a flat at 28-30 then it bunches up a bit and drops to low 20s before ramping back up again. The pace keeps changing and recoveries are never as long as you want them to be.

As suggested, ride with the faster club runs if you can, they'll often do some faster paced stuff and there will be a wealth of knowledge to listen to. It'll also help you get used to riding in a pack at pace and staying with a fast group through corners. (A skill people don't often appreciate but it will save you a lot of energy from having a dig in and get back on the group after every bend.)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Ludicrous statement.

It's not a 'ludicrous' statement. Nobody is saying that total beginners can just get on their bikes and ride at 21mph - you have to work up to it, obviously.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    ednino wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

I can't. My 10 TTs average 20mph :roll:

I can only manage around the 20mph average area on my rides, but sitting in the peleton is totally different. The race I have done recently (4th cat only) we averaged 25mph over the hour and to be honest I wasn't even working that hard, I was sat in waiting for the bunch sprint :)
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    saprkzz wrote:
    I was sat in waiting for the bunch sprint :)

Tuts, sighs and rolls eyes :)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    gavbarron wrote:
    saprkzz wrote:
    I was sat in waiting for the bunch sprint :)

Tuts, sighs and rolls eyes :)

he did say '4th cat' event, to be fair ;)
  • NewTTer
    gavbarron wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Ludicrous statement.
    Perfectly valid and accurate statement. This thread is about racing remember, most Go Race events which is the absolute bottom of the pile will return ave race speeds of 23-24mph, but as pointed out it the change of pace that hurts

"Bottom of the pile" is a bit harsh, a better choice of phrase would be that it is a leaner orientated event for those with no points or license to sample racing before stepping up. The etiquette and confidence may not always be there but there are often some very handy first timers there so don't be so snobby.

You are absolutely correct about changes in pace though. I average around 25 for a TT but have done road races that average 25 and been wrecked after because that has been up hills at 15 and then onto a flat at 28-30 then it bunches up a bit and drops to low 20s before ramping back up again. The pace keeps changing and recoveries are never as long as you want them to be.

As suggested, ride with the faster club runs if you can, they'll often do some faster paced stuff and there will be a wealth of knowledge to listen to. It'll also help you get used to riding in a pack at pace and staying with a fast group through corners. (A skill people don't often appreciate but it will save you a lot of energy from having a dig in and get back on the group after every bend.)
    It wasn't meant as derogatory, just highlighting what sort of speeds are achievable even on the bottom rung of the racing ladder, thus proving the previous point was not ludicrous! (surprised I had to explain this but there you go)