Bent cranks??

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking at my SLX cranks, when i rotate them, the chainring moves about 5mm side to side , and it's definitely not loose or anything, and it is correctly bolted to the crank spider... I'm thinking my cranks are bent, unless I've missed something astounding obvious??
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some do.

more likely to be a bent ring.

re position it on the crank and see where the movement is. that will show if it is the spider or the ring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bend flimsy chainring or the thickest part of the crank? My bets on the 'ring!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    you could be right, gave it a bit of a bash with a mallet and it seems a little better! Though I was running the ring with a chain guide with a taco before, so I don't see how the ring could have bent. Also the cranks were being run with a bash (different bikes) before, so I figured the spider could have bent a little or something.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5