Burgtec offset shock bushings

Fatbiker1807
Fatbiker1807 Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Thinking of fitting burgatec offset shock bushings to increase the head angle to try and make make my 2012 five a slightly more capable climber. I have two questions: 1. Will it work to a worthwhile amount. & 2. What other effects will it have on handling and geometry.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i still have no idea these get sold.

you are trying to force a cylinder to stay in one place and not rotate.

when the original is designed to allow rotation.

what you are asking it to do is the reverse of what most people want. which is where the natural rotation would go to any way.

I would not bother.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Thinking of fitting burgatec offset shock bushings to increase the head angle to try and make make my 2012 five a slightly more capable climber. I have two questions: 1. Will it work to a worthwhile amount. & 2. What other effects will it have on handling and geometry.

You want it less slack at the headangle? Offset bushings won't do that. They'll naturally rotate into the slackest setting. You'd be better off looking at your controls setup, i.e. seatpost layback, stem length, etc. Other option if you really want a steeper bike is a angleset, or similar, headset.
  • From the burgtec website:

OSB-slack-steep-diagram.jpg
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    i personally wouldn't do it. if you're looking for a more capable climber perhaps you should consider a change of bike instead. what exactly is it about the climbing ability that you dislike?

be aware that steepening the head angle is likely to reduce its stability when descending.

as above, id experiment with bars and stem first.