Recovery at work?

Coogie
Coogie Posts: 68
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
I've been riding bikes for years, happy with my fitness level, used to long rides and can normally feel fairly chipper after my weekend MTB rides

I recently changed jobs, which now means I can commute by bike that I started earlier this year. It's an 8 mile ride on a road bike which is no problem, however I generally feel pretty knackered during the day, but OK going home.

I don't push it too hard on the way to work, and try to drink plenty during the ride and when I get there

Why am I feeling like this as I don't get the problem after a weekend ride? Do I need a different recovery method as I'm going into work?

Cheers....

Comments

• fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    You get used to it . . . . . .
    Until 4 weeks ago I'd enjoy a fag before going inside to get chnaged (but I've quit now (YAY!)). That allowed me to cool off. Recently I've started skipping breakfast at home and eating muesli when I arrive. That makes the ride more comfortable and gives you a longer term energy boost for the day.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Possibly your food? Not to sure what you eat during the day but are you knackered all day or just in the afternoon only to recover for the return ride?

I used to make sure I had a good snack in the afternoon to beat the midday slump, most days a good coffee & some fruit, but on others maybe something a little sweet would do.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Coogie
    Thanks
    What I can't understand is the fact that I can ride on a Saturday morning and feel ok during the day, but a ride to work leaves me pretty lethargic all day? I also spend the day feeling warm and flushed, is this a sign of dehydration?

Thanks
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I don't think 8 miles should dehidrate you, not in the recent weather! I used to ride 5 miles, do a day humping furniture about then ride home. Sounds like you need to amend your diet slightly. Try have a banana (short term fuel) and apple (longer term fuel) when you get to work.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Could be, just depends on how much you normally drink in a day i.e are you normally fully hydrated.

I'm normally pretty good myself but if I don't get fluids into me first thing I struggle to remain fully hydrated until mid morning. Best think I find is I make up a nice smoothie to take with me if I'm office based and get that down my neck when I arrive, plus plenty of green tea (just my personal preference).

As @Thelonegroover suggests the distance itself should not be dehydrate you but if your starting low it will not help.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Coogie
    Thanks
    I know it depends on the individual, but what's the best suggested diet through the day?

I've never really changed since I started commuting, so I currently have - light cereal before I leave, tea cakes, banana and cereal bar at 10, sandwiches at lunchtime, and apple mid PM. Tea and water through the day.

Is this OK or do I need a change?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Probably just a case of getting used to it. I do just shy of 8 miles in on a protein shake and a coffee, a cup of tea when I get there, apple and tea at 10:30, sandwich at 12:30, lunchtime ride 30-45 minutes riding typically including a 700 ft hill and 10 miles, a milky coffee and maybe a snack bar when I get back, tea/coffee and a banana at 15:30, 7.5 miles back at 17:30, protein shake when I get in then dinner a bit later. Usually get lethargic after dinner.

I think I went through a phase of having an afternoon slump but not noticed it since I started the lunchtime rides.

As I understand it caffeine helps your body store fuel in the muscles as glycogen rather than as fat so can aid refuelling. You could probably replace the shakes with a different protein source, for me they seem to keep the aches and pains undercontrol but I need to switch to an unsweetened variety to get my evening appetite under control.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Personally, I'd replace some of the bread with another apple or other fruit.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • I have a similar distance commute. What works for me is not eating or drinking anything prior or during the journey and then having cereal and a cup of tea when I get in with a 20 minute relax.

During the day I eat little and often rather than going for the big meal, plenty of fruit and nuts.

Have a good meal when I get home.

Maybe your weekend rides provide you with more adrenaline to keep you going, I know I often go off mountain biking for a day with little more than a couple of bananas and plenty of water.

Mike