Advice needed on first improvements

Gkarno
Gkarno Posts: 15
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I've got a 2013 Moda intro road bike which I love.
Really enjoying my riding and clocking up the miles, it has
Shimano tiagra group set with a 10 cassette
Carbon forks and 705 alloy frame.
With standard wheels which I feel are too heavy but that could be all in my mind.

With a £150 budget £200 if worth the money.

Looking for some advice on the next upgrade taking in mind I am 6'2ft 15'5st.

Thanks.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    First thing would be tyres & inners as they can really transform how the bike feels & save the rest of your pennies to buy some more clothing.

Personally I don't tend to upgrade expensive parts unless they are worn through and need replacing.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • dan, he doesnt want to hear that, he has 200 bucks - andwe all know hell stretch it another 50 - to blow on wheels and he will , so god is my witness or strike me down!
    some aksium should satisfy his needs
  • Gkarno
    Haha I do agree with his advice on tyres, it's which tyres that next comes into the equation as damit there are to many conflicting opinions.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Your wheels aren't too heavy. Mine aren't at all light, being 27 inchers, and I can't say that impedes me especially. With that money I'd buy some cyclewear, some tyres as mentioned above, or a good pair of shoes... I wouldn't bother buying wheels on that budget.
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    biggest upgrade required at this stage is.... the rider

just ride
    jc
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I've yet to be convinced about the inner tube upgrade thing. However, tyres are definitely the way to go. Go to the Road Buying Advice forum, stick "tyres" in the search panel and there are about 9,610 hits giving advice on what to buy, experiences, etc.

Apart from that, ride your bike and develop a cycling tan. Next spring, look to spend about £350 on a nice set of wheels but they probably won't make you go faster, just feel a lot nicer/more sprightly.
  • Gkarno
    Ok I guess I'll clear my schedule tomorrow for the arduace task of looking at tyres.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    To quote Eddie:

"Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades"

I say this from a point of utter hypocrisy however, I have another bike (that I patently don't need) arriving this morning.

If I had £200 spare, I think I'd probably save it for the next bike, or my myself some clothing/helmet.
    Insert bike here:
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Depending on what you have already i'd go with the following before thinking about wheel upgrades;
    Tyres - GP4000S (or GP Force/Attack which are the same but a bit lighter and less rubber on them so wont last as long).
    Tubes - Conti Race light, Vittoria Ultralite, aim for 75g and butyl.
    Shoes/pedals - DHB are a good upgrade and not overly expensive, Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals.
    Bib shorts - again something like the DHB range are effective and not overly expensive.
    Saddle - Fizik Arione although this can be very much a personal thing.

And make sure your bike is setup correctly (seat height, front/back, bar height, stem length etc), plenty of guides online.
    Cheers, Stu