Tubeless Rim issue.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have XT tubeless rims but am running tubes.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm having endless problems with flats... the only thing I've changed is the wheelset.

Its odd, its really easy to get tyres on and off, the manual even said I shouldn't use levers!
What I think is happening is the tube is burping the tyre off the seat or lifting the tyre and pinch flatting... for one of the flats the tube was properly torn and the tyre was definately unseated.
I'm even getting punctures rolling the bike in and out of the house.
This is happening on both front and back wheels and I've checked both for sharp objects!

Do I just suck it and run tubeless? I'm not a fan of the idea beacuse I like to change tyres a lot. But if its the only way....

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Sounds strange. Check the XT wheel rim size against the original wheels. You could also try cutting the valve out of an old tube and try inflating the tyres tubeless. Other than that, you could have faulty rims.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Well I have tubeless valves and the goo should only cost about £7 so I'll give it a go.

Might try without goo to see if the tyre will seat properly 1st though... frustrating because the wheels have been superb apart from the punctures!