Somerset GF this weekend...

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
Who's heading out on this on Sunday? Looks like it might be quite a decent weather day for a change with 16-18 degs forecast and looking dry.

I'm up for the GF and 193km which seemed like a good idea at the time but knowing those roads and climbs I've been getting more and more nervous all week! :lol::lol:
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• Ah ha, You're right to be nervous - the last one is tough - Crowcombe - it's a beast!

What impresses me about the Somerset Hills GF route is how they've organised it so that each hill is harder than the last, and with some easy riding in between to re-loosen the legs.

I'll be on the Forest of Dean Classic and that one looks much more up/down/up/down all day long but can't see anything like Crowcombe on the route.
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    I'm looking forward to it - I've never done a sportive before so I thought I'd dip my toes in to the medio. I've been over Crowcombe about half a dozen times and I'm down to 'just stopping once' in my training now! Let's see if I can get up in one go on the day, hey!

:)
  • bigpikle
    oh yes...Crowcombe...

Only actually ridden up it once and that was 2 years ago when I was far less fit and didnt need to put a foot down, although I didnt have 80 miles in my legs when I got there. Its certainly going to haunt me across Exmoor and along the coast but assuming I dont get a load of people baling out in front of me I'm confident it will simply be a hellish/character building 10 mins ;)

Enjoy FoD - walked and climbed there many times but yet to visit on 2 wheels - maybe next year?
  • bigpikle
    what a great day this was!

I really enjoyed the route and found it more enjoyable than the Tour of Wessex day 3 route that goes almost the same way, but Somerset GF manages to really avoid al the terrible main roads around there and create a much better balance of challenging climbs and distance.

Weather really helped obviously as it was sunny and warm most of the way, but a well organised ride, good food stops and the big marque and band at the end was good.
  • bazzer2
    Thought I'd put a few words down to describe my first sportive too!

The organisation at the start / finish I found to be exactly as advertised. There was a large marquee with clear signage telling you where you needed to be and what you needed to do. Also a massive car park, with safety tape separating cyclists from cars, and the organisers wearing hi viz to make them easy to spot.
    I arrived with plenty of time before the start time of 7.30, but there there were queues as I entered the field. By the time I had parked and got the bike out they'd all set off, leaving us on our own to a certain extent.
    So, the ride started with a quick spin up through the Gorge itself, and it all seemed a little 'lonely' to begin with. There were three of us who intended to stick together and we only grouped up with other riders after about 10 miles, at about Priddy.
    The route from the top of the Gorge back as far as Shapwick was all new to me and to be honest I found it a little challenging. Lumpy road surfaces (not bad tarmac, but subsidence) took a lot of the rhythm out of my riding and I found I needed to concentrate on the road and the potholes rather than the scenery.
    A lot of riders went past, in groups and smaller bunches. I got separated from my mates for a while when I tagged on the back of a club for (what I thought was) a mile or so - then stopped for a full 10 mins while the other two caught me up! I think that was a strong tow!
    Back to Bridgwater I realised the first food stop was too far off to be useful to me and I'd forgotten to take bananas with me in the morning so I had to pause to get a mars bar. Was disappointing, as we had successfully tucked in with a large group who were whistling along the lanes into town. Never mind!
    Up to Enmore for the first big climb, and the event suddenly came alive for me. People attacking the climb, going past me, then stopping 'to check their gears' etc. :) Little bit of camaraderie, not a lot of banter though.
    Up to the first food stop and the sense of belonging was a little higher. Fair amount of friendly chatter between people while we were filling up bottles and picking up cake and bananas.
    Onwards to Crowcombe then, past the Blue Ball at Triscombe. Then an incident with a 4x4 driver. Road rage. A 4x4 came towards us at about 60mph (no idea that the limit was, I suspect 30) in the centre of a single track road, leaving merely inches between us and him. The driver took exception to me shouting 'slow down'. He showed himself up to be a dangerous, old, unstable, fat, loud and foul mouthed halfwit that I'm genuinely depressed and ashamed to be classified within the same genome, because he chased after me, stopped at a junction and threatened to run me and my 'gay mates' over with his truck. After much effing and blinding he eventually tore himself away from his own argument (I was extremely proud of myself for not reacting, and repeating the words 'calm down' to him). I'm reliably informed the Police are having words with him shortly. :)
    So the climb then. Crowcombe. The wall. And I did it in one go! I passed loads of people walking, and I'm not even ashamed to admit with my SRAM Apex lowest ratio is 34/32 so I was only doing just above walking pace. But I rode it an loads didn't!!! Towards the top there were people cheering me on which was lovely, really enjoyed that part.
    Then over the top, back down a steepish descent to Stowey and through a few undulations back to Bridgwater and the second feed station at Puriton.
    At this point my legs felt like they'd had about enough, and looking into the far distance to see Brent Knoll and Crook's Peak was a little demoralising. Regardless, our collective attitude was 'get the job done' and we trekked onwards at a reduced pace.
    I knew the roads we were taking now, and I think that counted against me a little, my legs were definitely tired. Up to the small climb over the base of Brent Knoll and I experienced cramps up and down my right leg like I'd never felt before!! Not knowing what to do I just carried on as best I could. I pretty much limped back to Cheddar after this - lots of people passing at speed, nobody really acknowledging me.
    The finish 'line' was a hilarious pummelling over a barely flattened field. Seems a tractor had been used before us and we had a slightly downhill run over the tyre grooves and I think I shook a filling loose! But the final time check was dealt with, I got me 'receipt' printed and pretty much fell on the floor for a few minutes. Only afterwards was it pointed out to me there was cake in the marquee, so I ventured in beside the (very loud!) band to grab some.

In all, was a glorious day. Helped by the weather being perfect, maybe - but I will definitely be doing it next year, and may well try a longer one before the season is out.
  • Brilliantly organised, well stocked feed stations, fantastic signage, great weather. The only thing that kind of spoilt it is the severity of Crowcombe Hill. I did the Gran Fondo route and when i arrived there everyone was walking up it..!! I managed to get within 50 yards of the top before also succombing to its slopes but "Chapeau" to all that managed to ride it.... but to me it really is just too steep for an average amateur. Give me Ventoux any day over Crowcombe..!!
  • ransos1
    ransos1 Posts: 34
    Yeah, Crowcombe defeated me! They were videoing me from the bottom as I was climbing quite strongly for about two thirds of the climb, but then my heart rate maxed out and I started cramping in both legs. Chapeau to those who managed it.
  • bigpikle
    Crowcombe is very hard but certainly doable by an amateur. I did it the first time a few years ago and was much less fit than this year, and did it again on the Gf route. It is about pacing though - thrash up Enmore, over Exmoor and those sharp coastal road climbs and you'd likely have emptied the legs a little too much. It was the pacing in the first 3-4 proper climbs that meant I made it up Crowcombe, as well as a 28t and some careful weaving up the road and avoiding the walkers.

No shame in walking up that beast though on a 195km sportive!
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 wrote:
    Then an incident with a 4x4 driver. Road rage. A 4x4 came towards us at about 60mph (no idea that the limit was, I suspect 30) in the centre of a single track road, leaving merely inches between us and him. The driver took exception to me shouting 'slow down'. He showed himself up to be a dangerous, old, unstable, fat, loud and foul mouthed halfwit that I'm genuinely depressed and ashamed to be classified within the same genome, because he chased after me, stopped at a junction and threatened to run me and my 'gay mates' over with his truck. After much effing and blinding he eventually tore himself away from his own argument (I was extremely proud of myself for not reacting, and repeating the words 'calm down' to him). I'm reliably informed the Police are having words with him shortly. :)

Just had a call to say they caught up with the driver - initially the registered keeper 'forgot' who was using the car that day, suddenly today Mr Ranty McRanterson has owned up fully and apologised profusely. Apparently he'd not taken his medication for 4 days and this was out of character.

I think he was worried I would be insisting on a complaint regarding his homophobic commentary, I think a hate crime is taken extremely seriously by the police, and the PCSO was gently querying whether or not I'd like the issue escalated.

I explained I accept the apology, but the lack of medication is not an excuse, it's a reason and it's still not acceptable behaviour. So long as the incident is logged and 'searchable' I'm happy with that.
  • bigpikle
    good to see some official follow up
  • Glad you all enjoyed the event, here is a link to the official video of the event.

http://vimeo.com/66026244
  • As others have said a very well organised event, I have not done many sportives to compare it to but did have a couple of comments:

1. The distance to the first feed station was too far, I did the Medio Fondo route, the distance between the first and second feed station in comparison was too close.

2. Some of the roads, especially through Bridgwater and on another section of dual carriageway which had roadworks were not particularly pleasant roads to cycle on due to volume of traffic and speed of traffic on the dual carriageway. I assume there were no other roads that could have been used otherwise they would.

It was despite the above a good sportive and made a nice change to cycle in a completely different part of the country, well organised and friendly event with good cake and coffee at the finish!