help me help me im lost

matthewkerr
matthewkerr Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
I am really struggling at the first hurdle of my bike choice. I want to start commuting to work ( 16 mile round trip ) but at the same time there are some great trails in Scotland id like to do. im not kidding myself though the mtb side would be the easy grade stuff.

I dont know if i should go for a hybrid or a MTB and switch the tyres for road use for the commute.

My budget is around £600 stretch to £700 ANY help would be greatly appreciated im starting to get frustrated with all the different options.

Thanks

Comments

• BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    If you are doing off-roading then MTB. For your budget you will get more for your money than any hybrid.

Your round trip is doable on road for an MTB, just a bit slower than a road bike. And being in Scotland, the winter is probably too grim for all-year round road biking anyway.

have fun!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    sounds like you need a MTB and a second set of wheels with slicks on for the commute ...
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Two bikes?

£300 will get you a Triban 3 which will cover your commuting needs and £400 should get you a fairly reasonable deal on ebay.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    For a 16 mile round trip, i would just buy the MTB and stick with the knobblies.
    Look at the knobblies as a training aid. After 2 weeks the tyres won't bother you.
    Worst comes to the worst (or if you get lots of punctures), you can always spend £30 on a pair of Continetal Travel Contact slicks for the summer.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • lockstock666
    lockstock666 Posts: 131
    Phil_D wrote:
    Two bikes?

£300 will get you a Triban 3 which will cover your commuting needs and £400 should get you a fairly reasonable deal on ebay.

This makes a lot of sense considering you have two very different needs/wants.

An 8 mile road commute will be sooo much better on a road bike.
    On a MTB you are probably looking around 45 minute journey? Possibly slightly more?
    On a road bike its more likely to be around 32 minutes? All depending on traffic/ fitness /hills of course.

The hybrid will pretend to tick both boxes but in reality it will fall short on the MTB trails and on the road and you will probably want to replace it within a few months.
  • submers
    submers Posts: 14
    The bike in this review is out of your price range but the last paragraph might be some help: 'From now on, if anyone tells me they’re going to buy a hybrid… I’ll be sure to tell them to buy this instead.'

http://cyclecentre.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... port-disc/
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    submers wrote:
    The bike in this review is out of your price range but the last paragraph might be some help: 'From now on, if anyone tells me they’re going to buy a hybrid… I’ll be sure to tell them to buy this instead.'

http://cyclecentre.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... port-disc/
    Cyclocross The thinking man's hybrid! Only thing to watch out for is gearing, a 46t big ring will spin out too easily on the road.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • submers
    submers Posts: 14
    I'm currently looking for a do-it-all CX and I've noticed while looking a lot of them come with 50/34 front rings which might be better for primarily road use.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm running 50/34 x 11-30. 45mph plus down hill I doesn't spin-out (like I used to on a hybridised 26" mtb with 48x11) and in the other direction I don't feel like I'm running out of low range gears. I didn't quite make it to that 25% climb when I was out this morning so not able to test it on more than 15%.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • mikebikemike
    mikebikemike Posts: 166
    for that money I'd definitely be looking at 2x second hand
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I have a hybrid which is great on the road, but there is no way I would take it off road, it's just not the right bike for that, it would be way to difficult to handle and bloody uncomfortable too