How do I bleed disc brakes without syringes?

cheaterkiller
cheaterkiller Posts: 159
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to bleed my brake system on my mountain bike and top up the fluid. However I need to do so without any special tools.

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    you cant really, well you might be able to make some automotive tools work but it will be a pain if it works at all

syringes can be bought from the chemist for less than a pound (the free 1's don't have a big enough volume and they might think you're a junkie).... only joking
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And the brakes are?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Avid i'm guessing, if he's asking about syringes.
  • cooldad
    I use them on new Shimano Deores. And elderly XT's. And my Hayes Strokers. So....
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    I use them on new Shimano Deores. And elderly XT's. And my Hayes Strokers. So....
    and my formulas,diatecs.......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most require a syringe (Avid, Shimano, Tektro and Hayes)
    So
    1/ What brakes
    2/ What makes you think they need bleeding
    3/ What makes you think they need 'topping up' (which usually needs no syringe).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    Shimano require a syringe? I thought they just needed a section of piping for the caliper and a funnel.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The newer Shimanos need a syringe or something similar to screw into the master cylinder bleed screw to make a fluid reservoir. You then push the fresh oil up from the caliper with another syringe into the top syringe.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bennett_346
    Ah i see.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Bleeding the newer Shimanos is a piece of piss it sounds more complicated but it is easy takes about 5 minutes to do the job if you have accidentally got a bubble in when shortening a hose.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    Shimano require a syringe? I thought they just needed a section of piping for the caliper and a funnel.
    All in the tech docs my friend...older ones need a syringe, newer ones should use a syringe before the funnel/pipe as well.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cheaterkiller
    cooldad wrote:
    And the brakes are?

Disc ones. I guess I will have to get those dam syringes.
  • The Rookie
    Make and model you donut!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    That would be doughnut, you pseudo yank donut.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    And the brakes are?

Disc ones. I guess I will have to get those dam syringes.
    read this viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12561058
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cheaterkiller

oh lol. Its a saracen ariel 1 MTB. Aint got a clue what the exact spec is as the bikes ancient. Its either 2006 or 2007, cant remember. It has shimano shifters is all I know. When the brakes work, they were the best brakes I ever came across. You get spongier front brake on a suzuki hayabusa.
  • cooldad
    You may find that they even have the make written on them, and, believe it or not, a model number.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Most brakes have the make and model written on them, if not try a photo, most brakes have different service needs, so knowing the brake is crucial! For example thye may need brake fluid (DOT) or mineral oil, get the wrong one and they won't work properly.