Giro - Galibier access

RoadPainter
RoadPainter Posts: 375
edited May 2013 in Pro race
I saw the recent video of them clearing the Galibier (N side) for the Giro.

I'm over there that weekend and staying in Oulx, so hoping to get to climb / stage finish from the Lautaret (S facing) side. Does anyone know whether they'll be clearing that side too? I suspect they probably will because of the parking available for various stuff at the Lautaret, but would be keen to find out for sure if anyone knows.

BTW Has anyone noticed the Galibier has shrunk 3m since 2011? 2642m high stage finish in Giro, but was 2645 in 2011.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I'm over there that weekend and staying in Oulx, so hoping to get to climb / stage finish from the Lautaret (S facing) side. Does anyone know whether they'll be clearing that side too? I suspect they probably will because of the parking available for various stuff at the Lautaret, but would be keen to find out for sure if anyone knows.
    The Lauteret is usually open from about mid-March but the Galibier only from early June, but since for many of the logistic/media vehicles involved with the Giro it would be simpler on the Galibier stage to go from the start (Cesana Torinese) to the Galibier via Briancon and the Lauteret, rather than the route the riders do, I imagine the Galibier will be cleared on its south side. That, however, doesn't mean it will be open to vehicles not concerned with the Giro.
    BTW Has anyone noticed the Galibier has shrunk 3m since 2011? 2642m high stage finish in Giro, but was 2645 in 2011.
    When the French equivalent of the Ordinance Survey measured how high Mont Blanc was in 2001 it was 4808 m, then when they re-measured in 2007 it was 4811 m, but then at the next re-measurement in 2009 it was 4810 m.
    Living in the Alps is like being on a permanent yo-yo.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Can't answer your questions, but what a stage this should be! First finish on top of the Galibier from the proper side - basically a 2,000m ascent with a 3 minute breather a third of the way up. The last two mountain stages catch the eye, but this could be awesome too.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583

Sounds like intriguing watching. Link please?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Alan A wrote:

@inrng: Video: the Col du Galibier is being cleared of snow for the Giro with snowploughs and explosives http://inrng.tumblr.com/post/48949854503 (French)”
    Rich
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    cheers. always forget about his tumblr site.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    RichA wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

@inrng: Video: the Col du Galibier is being cleared of snow for the Giro with snowploughs and explosives http://inrng.tumblr.com/post/48949854503 (French)”

Team Sky missed a trick there: if they dropped those shots of exploding snow in with footage Wiggins training his jump in the mountains, Nibali would've shat himself...

... possibly.