Windpoof Jacket.

Dandelionclock30
Dandelionclock30 Posts: 306
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, Could anyone recommend me a nice windproof jacket thats reasonably priced please? Theres so much to choose from I'm not sure what to go for.Thanks.

Comments

• southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    You might need to say a little more.. Do you want a jersey style top that is windproof or a waterproof jacket? Does it need to be warm or just windproof to stop the chill?
    I have a DHB Windslam Roubaix Jersey that is windproof and keeps me nice and warm, would highly recommend if it is the type of jersey/jacket that you are looking for. I think it cost about £55 from Wiggle
  • Thanks for your reply,I'm looking for a windproof jacket that I can wear at the moment and that will also withstand a light shower.I've got probably more waterproofs than Blacks and I've got a Paramo smock which is great and waterproof. I've got a few base layers/tops to be going on with. Its more a lightweight jacket that I'm after to stop me from getting chilled on my rides that I can wear over my tops.
  • josehernandez
    josehernandez Posts: 243
    Gore bike wear Phantom, not cheap but the most versatile jacket out there and if you can find a 2012 example you could grab one of the best bargains ever. Remember the age old mantra - " Buy once, cry once."
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Surely one of your waterproof jackets would do the trick?

I dont have a specific windproof gilet, I just use my waterproof gilet which is a small, light and packable gilet and it works fine in shielding the wind. I also have a softshell gilet but thats m ore geared towards the colder months and would be far too warm in current weather.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • My waterproofs are more for winter walking or cold weather as they are quite robust and all have hoods.I do wear them on my bikes but I'm after more of a lightweight soft shell type jacket for nowish.
    I just had a look at one at Aldi and I thought it looked a bit cheap.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    My waterproofs are more for winter walking or cold weather as they are quite robust and all have hoods.I do wear them on my bikes but I'm after more of a lightweight soft shell type jacket for nowish.
    I just had a look at one at Aldi and I thought it looked a bit cheap.

Endura apparently make a really well recommended gilet at a reasonable price with vented back and windproof front. Worth a punt.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    While the Gore Phantom is undeniably good (I have one and love it) it's approaching the time of year when it's going to be too warm to wear it. The OP was wanting something windproof and cheapish to wear over a jersey.

I have a Goretex Paclite Path jacket for that; also incredibly good, but again not cheap.

I see the Montane featherlight frequently recommended on here.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My Castelli one rolls up to about the size of a tennis ball and lives in a back pocket. The fit is perfect for when sitting on a bike.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I have a foska jacket - for when its really cold - prob getting a tad warm for it now depending on how much you feel the cold. I really rate it - wind proof breathable and pretty water proof too.

I also have a louis garneau (from Evans) long sleeved top thing that has a black windproof panel on the front. ideal for spring autumn. that was pretty cheap too I think.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have a Campagnolo Heritage jacket and its very wind proof, also somewhat shower proof. Shame they've stopped making clothing now.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • josehernandez
    josehernandez Posts: 243
    keef66 wrote:
    While the Gore Phantom is undeniably good (I have one and love it) it's approaching the time of year when it's going to be too warm to wear it. The OP was wanting something windproof and cheapish to wear over a jersey.

I have a Goretex Paclite Path jacket for that; also incredibly good, but again not cheap.

I see the Montane featherlight frequently recommended on here.

Still Phantom wearing weather where I am keef. Agree with you re Gore bike wear path jacket, best lightweight waterproof / windproof jacket out there but it ain't going to keep you very warm if the weather turns nasty.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nip into Aldi today. They had kit in yesterday. You see plenty of them on the road.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I back the idea that it’s the wrong time of year for a full bomb-proof/cold weather top. We’ve currently got the sort of weather which where an early set off might be chilly and call for a windproof, but after a bit of sun/work you won’t want it – or alternatively you’ll be wanting some back-up protection against a possible shower or drop in air temp.

Something like the Featherlite windproof that only takes up half a jersey pocket has to be the way forward, similar micro-light waterproofs can be had, but that wouldn’t be my choice. Don’t worry about pockets etc (more bulk) just make sure it fits neatly over your jersey with the normal gear in the back pockets.

If that turns out to be the wrong call for the OP then he’s only dropped <£30 (or much less if can find a reasonable fitting alternative in Aldi or similar…) and I can't imagine anyone have *no use* for for such an item.