Brake disc rub - normal bedding-in annoyance?

paulneenan76
paulneenan76 Posts: 777
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello All

Deore M596 brakes, replaced pads (SS sintered), re-set the pistons, eased off the calipers to centralise over the disc, tightened with the levers depressed, bedded in etc etc., but after a bit of fettling the rear is fine yet the front is rubbing and bugging the hell out of me. Should I put this down to the bedding-in process or should I be checking for something less obvious which may become serious? Brakes work ok based on their performance at FoD on Saturday so I'm at a loss.

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Look at the caliper and the pistons, is the caliper centered over the disc, is one piston out more than the other? Probably just needs bedding in.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • giantAstax
    giantAstax Posts: 55
    It shouldn't rub if all is set correctly but that would include the alignment of the front wheel and the disk run-out. Check your wheel is properly centred between the drop-outs and check the disk to make sure it's not warped or bent which is quite common - even a slight 'kink' can cause a rub.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they're new just ride the thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    Disc looks to be central to the pads and pistons. It seems to have got better but that could just be me. Was fairly noisy under braking this evening also, and I got some play in the wheel towards the end of the ride - though I re-tightened the QR and it was fine after that.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll keep an eye and see how it goes this weekend.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • lonzo
    lonzo Posts: 62
    Could be your hub bearings, although that would not necessarily cause it to rub, it would explain vibration/noise under braking and explain your wobbly wheel? hope you get it sorted.