SOLVED: Cracking / Popping noise from BB

tag33
tag33 Posts: 8
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, have a cracking noise coming from my boardman team bottom bracket area - sounds very similar to the noise a loose seat bolt would make but the noise is still present when I remove the seat and clamp completely.

I have replaced the BB and chainset with a new FSA comet + megaexo bb (identical to original parts and installed with a torque wrench) but the noise is still present. It is not every rotation or a certain part of the pedal stroke (rather at random points) and not the usual tap/click noise but a more violent crack/popping noise. I can repeat it when there is no force on the pedals by leaning the bike against a wall and pedaling backwards. Have had a good look at the frame while the bb was out and I can't see any signs of cracks or damage to it. When pedaling everything appears to be working correctly and smoothly!

I've ran out of ideas - anyone have a clue what it could be!?

Comments

• gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    chainring bolts
    crank axle not fully tight

are these noises there when the chain is off?
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    not the pedals themselves then?
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • tag33
    Have swapped pedals and checked chainbolts tight and crank axle fully home but haven't tried it with the chain off - will give it a try when get home. Guess that would that point towards the freehub/cassette area? Sure it's coming from the bb but i know how the sound can travel down the frame!

Cheers
  • tag33
    Just to follow up - sorted out the noise! It still made the noise with the chain off btw. Popped round to my dad's last night whose fix for everything that involves threads is to copper grease it to death! So removed the BB cups, copper greased the threads, the axle from the chainset and all bolts in that area. Did a 12 mile this morning with no noise so far. :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just tightening all the bits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools