Disk brake choice

mh20
mh20 Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Thinking about new disk brakes.
I need good ones, but popular ones where the pads are cheap and avialbale across Europe.
Thinking Shimano or Elixir, but will consider other options.
You thoughts please and what do you use?

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Shimano Deore M596. Cheap, brilliant. Exceptional value for money performance.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/review-shimano-m596-deore-brake-12-46008

Or the M595 if you can still find them on offer anywhere. Cheaper, still as brilliant.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    +1 ^

Can be got for £80 for the set
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • tezboy1234
    tezboy1234 Posts: 132
    I use Magura MT2's. I find them outstanding! I got mine on a 2012 bike. At that time the brakes were around 100 pound, so you'll probably get them cheaper now.

Magura's top brakes are the MT8's wich are high end and expensive, but they don't perform any better than the MT2's, they're just lighter and have more carbon than the MT2's. In fact, going by reviews, and i think Bikeradar have a review of them and say the same thing, the MT2's were a bit stronger in braking than the MT8's and had a better progressive lever feel. So basically your getting high end performance brakes, for a fraction of what high end brakes cost, but with a fraction more weight.

Before i'd even tried these brakes, i had Shimano XT's in mind as an upgrade. However, it was pointed out to me by Bikeradar that the XT's weren't an upgrade, that they were no better, just different. XT's are also heavier than the MT2's.

I'm glad i never purchased the XT's as i'm so impressed by the MT2's, i'll more than likely be sticking with these permanently, and will just buy more when these wear out. There so good that i can't really see the need for better. Also, the hoses are interchangeable, so if you wanted to switch your breakes around, it's less of a headache to do it.
  • felix.london
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    I use Magura MT2's. I find them outstanding! I got mine on a 2012 bike. At that time the brakes were around 100 pound, so you'll probably get them cheaper now

Where the hell did you get a set of MT2's for £100? - when I've looked they're more like £100 each!

And why are they cheaper now?

Trek Session 8
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078

To the moderators - can we make a sticky topic or FAQ of this? It gets asked pretty frequently so it's definitely a FAQ. And if there's a better choice of brakeset at less than £100 brand new, I'd be fairly surprised
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • tezboy1234
    Felix.

I never said it was 100 for the set. But i should have made it more clear it was per break. As for why it's cheaper now, again, i never said they are cheaper now, i said he'll probably get them cheaper now. Why, because with time, things generally reduce in price, not always, but often enough. As a point, Wiggle have the MT2 for 89.10 (per brake)and Cycle Sports have them for i think under 85 (per brake). There's probably loads of places selling them for less than 100, and there'll probably be somewhere selling them on sale with a better price than 85, or maybe selling as a full set with a greater saving.
  • felix.london
    in that case £80 for a set of Deore's is a no brainer really.

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Giraffoto wrote:

To the moderators - can we make a sticky topic or FAQ of this? It gets asked pretty frequently so it's definitely a FAQ. And if there's a better choice of brakeset at less than £100 brand new, I'd be fairly surprised

I might do a 'best buys' FAQ.
  • supersonic
    Though I think the Maguras are excellent. Very light for the money.
  • tezboy1234
    Felix.

I agree, 80 quid for a full set of Deores is a fantastic deal. I only mentioned the Maguras because the postee asked us what we use. Also, taking the price, weight, durability and performance of the Maguras, i also consider them amongst the best when it comes to value for money, just as i do the Deores.

Also, and speaking only for myself, as you progress with bikes, and you start thinking of either a new bike or upgrades to your existing bike, i think i would be looking at some point to upgrade my Deores. If i were to go out today and buy a bike for 6k, i wouldn't be bothered if it only had Magura MT2's and not something like XTR's. I think i would be disappointed if it only had Deores.

The point is, for me, i never feel the need or have the desire to upgrade the Maguras, i find them that good. That's not to take anything away from the Deores, you won't be disappointed with them, and certainly not for 80 pound. But it's all down to personal preference i suppose. There'll be plenty of people who feel the same about the Deores as i do the Maguras.
  • felix.london
    I was after MT2's for my next build as I'm trying to offset a bit of weight (set of Domains and a pair of Flows are going on it) but they're over my brake budget really (hence the question as to where they could be got for cheap) so think It'll be XT's. But I'm keeping my on the classified's and Rose...

Trek Session 8
  • tezboy1234
    Felix.

I'll keep a lookout for you, i'm always browsing stuff. I thought the XT's were cheaper than the MT2's? How much are XT's ?
  • felix.london
    £150 for the set..and that's over my limit, was gonna be SLX

Trek Session 8
  • tezboy1234
    Ah, then it would'nt be worth stretching to the Maguras anyway, as they're both as good as each other. I only began to rate Maguras above the XT's because there a bit lighter, but mainly because i thought the XT's were a fair bit more expensive.

Iots of people have said they rate SLX as best for VFM. I think if i was buying a full groupset, i would go SLX, but if i was getting just the brakes, i'd stretch to the XT's, if i could.
  • tezboy1234
    Felix.

I just came across the MT2's from Excel Sports for 94 dollars US (60.38 sterling). 120.76 Total.. However, this doesn't include the rotors.
  • supersonic
    This is something to consider with Shimano, most prices do not include rotors, mounts or bolts.
  • Giraffoto
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    . . .Iots of people have said they rate SLX as best for VFM. I think if i was buying a full groupset, i would go SLX, but if i was getting just the brakes, i'd stretch to the XT's, if i could.

Why SLX? Looking at the spec sheets and BR's own reviews, SLX and XT shave off a few grams here and there (and really only a few) and add finned brake pads (better cooling in very extreme circumstances, costlier to replace) as well as having a little thumb wheel on the lever to adjust the bite point instead of needing a hex key. And bite point is something you set up once - I prefer not to have the thumb wheel. Now obviously it's your money, your priorities and your choice. For me though, those things don't make a convincing case for anything more expensive than Deore: the next bike I build will have XT gears and cranks but Deore brakes.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • tezboy1234
    Why SLX?

It's all a matter of personal opinion and preference. I don't think anyone could argue SLX is a great groupset at a great price. Lots of people just tend to consider them the best in the VFM department. When you read independent reviews about SLX, they usually say the same thing. I'm pretty sure Bikeradar said similar things too, if memory serves me correctly.

But some people prefer XT to XTR, claiming there's a big difference in price between the two, but a small difference in quality. When i first starting learning about bikes, i'd come across the odd statement from professional XC riders who said they won't use XTR or XT shifters because they find them confusing as to what gear there in at times, and that they prefer SLX shifters. I have the XT shifters, and sometimes you unintentionally multi-shift. Not an issue for me, but a bit of a setback if your a pro racer.

But like i say, it's personal opinion. Whether it's Xt, SLX or Deore, i don't think you can go wrong with any of them, there all great value in my opinion.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run 2 generation old XT's (M765), lighter than latest Deores, cost me less than £50 fitted and over 2 bikes been very reliable (One seized caliper I replaced with another used one) - what is not to like!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    Felix.

I just came across the MT2's from Excel Sports for 94 dollars US (60.38 sterling). 120.76 Total.. However, this doesn't include the rotors.

...plus $50 shipping so could be got for the same price as XT's from Rose. Interesting

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    supersonic wrote:
    This is something to consider with Shimano, most prices do not include rotors, mounts or bolts.

Didn't realise but Rose lets you chose what size rotors so with the included adapters too they come out cheaper than the XT's and fair bit lighter

Trek Session 8
  • Giraffoto
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    Why SLX?

It's all a matter of personal opinion and preference. . . .

I agree - your money, your choice. And the link that Supersonic's found ^ makes a compelling case for SLX
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • tezboy1234
    Felix.

I've just been on a site called Cambria Bike.com. I never searched thoroughly for Magura or anything, just took a quick glance. They seemed to have a 50-70% sale going on. I saw a full Shimano XT brake set (rotors and all) going for 278.99 dollars US (179.36 pound sterling). Whether the Magura's were on sale too i couldn't say, but i'd certainly say it's worth checking this site out.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    US site, so in addition to postage you could be in for import duty and VAT on top of that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    I think things are going off topic here!

To the OP, Shimano Deore discs are the best value option out there. great brake at a great price,
    If you already have discs and the right adaptors then your sorted, otherwise need to buy those separately.

I have Elixirs, they came on the bike, they're alright, nothing exceptional will be upgraded to shimano at some point.
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII