New Chainset

Screaming Tree
Screaming Tree Posts: 33
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, so I was a complete tool when fitting some new SPDs to my Cube and stripped the thread on the drive side crank (along with the thread on the pedal), I don't quite know how I managed it because it's the third set of pedals that I've fitted to this bike.

So I've ordered a new set of pedals as getting the entire pedal from the Germans is cheaper than a new axle assembly. I've also ordered a new SLX chainset and having never fitted one before wondered if there were any common issues that folk have found that I need to be aware of. I've got a BB tool and a rubber mallet so I should be set to go right??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You don't need a bb tool, just a preload tool. Only thing I'd say is do the pinch bolts up a little each and in turn.

Oh and always start pedals of threading by hand
  • Do I not, it includes a new bottom bracket
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    What type of BB is on the bike now?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • It's an external bearing BB
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Was assuming you we're replacing shimano with shimano so the new crank will just plug into the bb you have now. Assuming Shimano sizing of course.
  • I am replacing like with like, thanks for this
  • ..& I'll have a spare BB
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How on earth did you damage a steel thread on the pedal with the soft alloy one in the crank? Are you sure it's not just bits of the ally crank thread in there you can clean out?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    How on earth did you damage a steel thread on the pedal with the soft alloy one in the crank? Are you sure it's not just bits of the ally crank thread in there you can clean out?

Or you're trying to screw it the wrong way :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • How on earth did you damage a steel thread on the pedal with the soft alloy one in the crank? Are you sure it's not just bits of the ally crank thread in there you can clean out?

Or you're trying to screw it the wrong way :wink:

Definitely not screwing it the wrong way! Like I said god knows how I did it