trying to beat my last sportive times

i think ive lost my way with sportives, i started off doing sportives for fun and fitness, now after 5yrs all i seem to do is go as fast as i can, to try and beat the previous yrs time, hence feeling tired and now not sure what im trying to achieve.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not try an audax?

You have to stay alert as you are following a routecard rather than some bright signs but the sense of achivement when you finish is therefore much greater. There are upper/lower speed limits, with timebound controls, which may force you (on some of the flatter rides) to stop at a cafe to take a break and start chatting to other people. You may even start to see that going all out is not all there is to cycling. Mind you, don't go thinking that all audaxes are for old beardie/wierdies who don't like a challenge and pootle everywhere, I did a 200k the other week which had 4,000M of climbing, and yes I was going flat out for large chunks of it, brilliant! Finished in some lovely chap's kitchen with homemade stew and a nice natter about the ride.

The longer rides force you to learn about pacing/nutrition, self dependence, etc., but also cameradery as you get to meet a wide variety of riders along the way. The best rides end with fantastic food spreads in village halls, oh, and the average cost is about £5. Sorted. If you want a gold medal certificate you can print one off your computer when you get home, and even put your name on it with a little star next to it :wink:
  • ... and to support Bobbinog's point, audaxes also offer a degree of comparability for timing. Whereas sportives come in differing lengths and sizes, audaxes usually come in units of 100, 150, 200, 300km, etc. So if you ride several 200s it is therefore easier to set yourself a benchmark.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Audax !! - I met some guys the other week who were on a 300km and the fast group were hammering it. I was going for a long solo run of around 250km and eased off and let the fast group go on up the road but chatted to some of the other participants who really seemed to be enjoying it.

I had in my mind that most audax riders were goat bearded old men who can cycle 300km on a hand full of raisins but really had my eyes opened.

I was similar to you radiation man were every time I did a sportive I was hammering it to better my time or go for gold times but now do a lot of big sportive type runs on my own but still participate in sportives but have much better fitness now as I do runs up to 160miles and now a hundred is easy.

Still in awe of some those fast audax riders though as I can get round the Marmotte in just over 8hrs but these guys were in class above me.
    Brian B.