Stand Crest ZTR's - tyre fitting

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited May 2013 in MTB general
I must be doing something wrong here, ive a set of Stans Crest ZTR's and im trying to fit some Panaracer XC Fire Pro UST tyres but it seems impossible.
I've fitted the yellow tape neatly and added the valve. one side of the tyre goes on with a bit of force but the other simply will not go on. I've put any sealant in as i end up chasing the bead round the rim and dont fancy getting covered in it again.
I have clamped down one side of the tyre with cable ties making sure they are really tight but i still cant get them on even using a soapy water. Has anyone any idea how they go on?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Is the bead you have on in the centre channel of the rim? It sounds like that's what you need to get done first then work your way around from the side opposite the valve, taking up the slack as you go. The only think I'm doubtful of is whether the UST tyres might be making it worse for you.
  • step83
    Should have said im mounting the first side into the center groove then the other side on the shoulder, i did try budging both into the channel but still go no where. and annoyingly i couldnt find any slack. I was tempted to slacken the spokes to get the tyres on at one point! Im not sure if it is the tyre i tried my Maxxis advantage an no luck either that was a non UST one so it has a deeper bead to it.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Start opposite the valve, push tyre into the well and work towards the valve in both directions at the same time, when it gets tight go back and do it again, trying to keep it deep in the well. If you start at the valve, it'll restrict how deep into the well you can go, and therefore how much slack you can create.

This basically sums up how I do it. Every tyre I've had on had gone on by hand, but those were all Maxxis (including several ADvantages), Kenda and Schwalbe.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    It's just down to technique, you do need to make sure you have the beads of both side of the tyres in the well and work any slack around the tyre as you go.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Flows were really difficult to get the tyres on. I'm dreading a trail side puncture.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    The issue here is that you are trying to fit UST tyres to a Stans Rim. They're just way too tight to even contemplate. And if you do get it on.....you'll never be able to repair it on the trail when you flat.

I run UST rims and Stans. The stans will take a tubeless ready tyre or a standard tyre. But UST's are a massive bollockache.

The UST specific rims will take the UST tyre with just you thumbing it on.

for any other tyre that is tight on a crest, ensure one of the beads is fully in the centre channel (the deepest part) before trying to mound the other bead.
  • FatMikeUK
    FatMikeUK Posts: 51
    Yup, Crests are B@tards. I'm going tubeless for precisely this reason, hopefully I'll do it once and then never have to worry until the tyres go bald...

But yeah I use the creep technique. Hopefully you've got one side of the tyre on okay and it's getting the second side on which is the trouble. In this case get as much as you can on until it becomes impossible. Next stick a foot or cable tie or whatever at one edge of the "off" section and hold it there. This should stop it creeping further away. The get at least a couple of tyre levers and start working on the other side, millimetre by millimetre. I mean literally as you pull one lever out stick it in touching the one that's still in and just work your way around. Takes forever, and if you're anything like me you''ll probably end up with a couple of bent levers, but you should get there in the end.

Good luck!
  • step83
    Fail for me then i tried getting a Maxxis Advantage on no joy at all. What tyres go on with some kind of ease?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Step83 wrote:
    I was tempted to slacken the spokes to get the tyres on at one point!

You know that would make the rim bigger, right?

I've got 25mm Conti road tyres on my Crest 29ers, there's a definite technique to it which has already been covered.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    No point using UST tyres on Stan's rims. The bead hook is designed to work with standard tyres.

I can pop my Maxxis Ingitor on and off no problem but once tried a Schwalbe UST tyre and it was a proper ball ache getting them on and off.

Stick with it you'll learn the technique.
  • FatMikeUK
    FatMikeUK Posts: 51
    jairaj wrote:
    No point using UST tyres on Stan's rims. The bead hook is designed to work with standard tyres.

I can pop my Maxxis Ingitor on and off no problem but once tried a Schwalbe UST tyre and it was a proper ball ache getting them on and off.

So if for example I wanted to go tubeless on a stans no tubes rim would standard tyres work? And more to the point, would USTs not work? If so it might save me a few quid when I don't have to replace the tyres I have for UST ones!
  • jairaj
    Stans's rims are specifically designed to work with standard tyres. They have a propriety bead hook system that works with a standard bead and makes it air tight.

Adding some sealant into the tyre will help make it less porous and help reseal the tyre in the event you get a puncture. UST tyres have extra layers to make them air tight which becomes redundant if you are using sealant.

UST tyres will work with Stan's rims but they will be very hard to put on, cost more and will be heavier.

Other tubeless rims may work differently.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    jairaj wrote:

+1. Same but I'm using Arch EX with a Conti RQ & a MK2 but when I tried to put the Schwalbe UST (NN & RRalph) on they were a nightmare.

As above - the whole point of Stans rims is that you don't need a UST tyre to go tubeless. Just yellow tape, valves and sealant
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • step83
    got a tyre mounted today! got carried away an forgot to put any sealant in so thats a job for tomorrow now I got hold of a ground control 2 which went on OK not as easy as the video makes out but its on seemed to seal pretty well without any sealant but needs doing. Shame really you cant add it through the valve cores on the stans kits would be far less mess
  • jairaj
    erm yeah you can. my stans valves have removable cores. but i find it easier to just pop a bit of the tyre off pour some sealant in and reseat.