Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Carbon Bottle Cage Bolts

bgfalll123bgfalll123 Posts: 50
edited May 2013 in Road general
Just bought my first Carbon bike

heard stories of peoples frames cracking due to bottle cage bolts ...

Anyone know a good grease to use ? Any tips on avoiding anything bad happening ?

Elite cages on a boardman carbon ... anyone had any issues ?

Thanks :D:lol::D

Posts

  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Just get stainless bolts and do not over tighten.

    Crappy alloy ones get stuck fast.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Thanks for the tip ! Anyone else got any thoughts ?
  • sungodsungod Posts: 12,204
    i use al ones, put antiseize on the threads, ride all weathers, no problem

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17701
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ducksonduckson Posts: 961
    Never heard of that before as long as you dont overtighten them (as with any bolt) you should be fine.

    I changed mine to these in black, blend in better with the black bottle cage and frame for me;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4-A2Z- ... 2a186a7226

    EDIT
    Same as you, Elite cages on a Boardman Team Carbon.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Thanks guys that is really helpful ! Setting my mind at ease :)
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Coloured ones are even worse for sticking fast than the plain alloy ones. Make sure you put copper slip on them.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Just get stainless bolts and do not over tighten.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bgfalll123bgfalll123 Posts: 50
    duckson wrote:
    Never heard of that before as long as you dont overtighten them (as with any bolt) you should be fine.

    I changed mine to these in black, blend in better with the black bottle cage and frame for me;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4-A2Z- ... 2a186a7226

    EDIT
    Same as you, Elite cages on a Boardman Team Carbon.

    What size are the bolts for our bikes ?

    Thanks mate.
  • saprkzzsaprkzz Posts: 592
    My carbon bike has nice black nylon 66 ones in, very very light, perfect for the job!

    I made titanium bottle cage bolts which are on all my other bikes, they rock! :D
  • ducksonduckson Posts: 961
    bgfalll123 wrote:
    duckson wrote:
    Never heard of that before as long as you dont overtighten them (as with any bolt) you should be fine.

    I changed mine to these in black, blend in better with the black bottle cage and frame for me;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4-A2Z- ... 2a186a7226

    EDIT
    Same as you, Elite cages on a Boardman Team Carbon.

    What size are the bolts for our bikes ?

    Thanks mate.

    Same as any other i'd expect.....which is saying i'm not sure on the spec but its as per the bolts in the ebay link.
    Cheers, Stu
  • eskayeskay Posts: 57
    Stainless bolts and aluminium are actually very bad. Galvanic corrosion caused by the two dissimilar metals can cause corrosion of the aluminium and sieze the bolt.

    There are some stainless bolts that are availbale that have a special coating to prevent corrosion.

    On carbon cages - I broke one a couple of weeks ago when my bottle did not quite slide back in right. Expensive drink!
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    eskay wrote:
    Stainless bolts and aluminium are actually very bad.

    How is that relevant? :roll:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bar ShakerBar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    bgfalll123 wrote:
    Just bought my first Carbon bike

    heard stories of peoples frames cracking due to bottle cage bolts ...

    Anyone know a good grease to use ? Any tips on avoiding anything bad happening ?

    Elite cages on a boardman carbon ... anyone had any issues ?

    Thanks :D:lol::D

    Never had any problems on my TC, the lugs are good, just use a washer on the bolts.

    The Boardman carbon cages are to die for. Beautifully made carbon fibre and only 28g each. They are sub £40 and come with good bolts and washers.

    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/equipment/ ... _cage.html
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Those Boardman cages look suspiciously like the Blackburn ones (which are indeed excellent).

    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-09-35142

    You can get them in gloss and others colours as well.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bar ShakerBar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The Boardman one is a bit more slender but they are not too dissimilar.

    My current ones are over 3 years old and still perfect.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • racingcondorracingcondor Posts: 1,434
    smidsy wrote:
    eskay wrote:
    Stainless bolts and aluminium are actually very bad.

    How is that relevant? :roll:

    Galvanic corrosion could be relevant. Personally I suspect that even on an alu frame the threads for things like bottle cages are probably steel (but I'm going on guesswork not knowledge so anyone who knows please chip in), as a result Alu bolts are probably a bad idea as you'll have alloy on steel at a junction which you very rarely maintain.

    I'd use normal steel bolts or if you want to really weight weenie it nylon. No idea if nylon ones can take the stresses though.
  • eskayeskay Posts: 57
    smidsy wrote:
    eskay wrote:
    Stainless bolts and aluminium are actually very bad.

    How is that relevant? :roll:

    Apologies, I read the title but did not fully digest the content! I thought it was about securing carbon bottle cages to any frame (bulk of which are alu).
  • Bar ShakerBar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I thought the bottle cage inserts in my frames were alloy.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • bgfalll123bgfalll123 Posts: 50
    Got some stainless bolts today copper slipped them up and they are working a treat.

    Need to get some washers yet but i'm not sure how much they will do

    Thanks for all the input ! :)
Sign In or Register to comment.