The Lions

13»

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    On the BBC news this morning there was a video which had Gatland saying that the coaches had a "heated debate" about the team selection.
    Has all the hallmarks of dissension in the ranks.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    cjcp wrote:
    BOD was lucky to be on the tour in the first place. A bigger shock is that Tulagi wasn't starting ahead of him.

BOD's powers are waning. It wouldn't surprise me if much of the media who-ha is because commentators don't want to say he should have been dropped.

<sucks teeth>

<narrows eyes>

<eyes favourite pitchfork>

<checks matches are in pocket>

<spits unfeasible amount of chewing tobacco flob on floor>

Say that again.... :evil:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    BOD was lucky to be on the tour in the first place. A bigger shock is that Tulagi wasn't starting ahead of him.

BOD's powers are waning. It wouldn't surprise me if much of the media who-ha is because commentators don't want to say he should have been dropped.

<sucks teeth>

<narrows eyes>

Ah, let me guess: you also think Robinson was a better winger than Shane? :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    cjcp wrote:
    Ah, let me guess: you also think Robinson was a better winger than Shane? :twisted:

Robinson was a better (more effective) winger than a full back. Was completely under utilised as a full back. What's good in beating one or two forwards with thirteen players left to beat from full back. He could step past other wingers and have a run in but far too often played full back.

Shane is a better winger than them all.

But why have cover for JR? He is either fit or not.

BOD is miles ahead of JD in defence
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Can't wait until Saturday morning. Hopefully the Welshies can summon the spirit of '69 when a Wales team last beat Australia in Australia.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

<sucks teeth>

<narrows eyes>

<scowls>

<spits again>

<reaches for pitchfork>

<lights match on stubble>

Them's fightin' words...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    I think Gatland's preferred team for the first test would have been Roberts + BOD. That didn't happen because of injury so the logical option would have been Tuilagi + BOD and replace one bosher with another. However he went for Davies, and Davies had been playing well, but Davies and BOD as a centre combination simply didn't work as it was two 13s trying to play together.

Gatland was unlucky with the injuries to Healy, Jenkins and Corbisiero because that destroyed the scrum as a way to attack Australia, but the line-out hasn't been great and none of the hookers can hit anything at the back, so the set piece platform for the team is very shaky.

I haven't a clue what Gatland was trying to do with the back row because you don't pick players like Heaslip and Croft if you want to play bosh rugby.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    This is a flipping good game!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Well done Warren Gatland...lets congratulate him chaps. The right team, awesome bench calls and one of the greatest performances in rugby history. Thoughts please...!?
  • ddraver
    Still think he was wrong but it did nt matter so meh... Back line was hardly impressive in attack until the Aussie's gave up. Could have played Gatlands Kids behind that scrum and they'd have won. THAT he got stunningly right!
    - @ddraver
  • Sewinman
    ddraver wrote:
    Still think he was wrong but it did nt matter so meh... Back line was hardly impressive in attack until the Aussie's gave up. Could have played Gatlands Kids behind that scrum and they'd have won. THAT he got stunningly right!

Oh dear.
  • Sewinman
    P.s why do you think the aussies 'gave up'?
  • Sewinman
    F*ck it. V happy. Massive result. Proud of the boys...all of them.
  • ddraver
    Made me snigger ;)

1000695_569477846424607_1342625997_n.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Were there any Scots playing. Or are we all too crap.
  • cjcp
    Not seen the match yet: was away this weekend, so had to follow it on the the BBC text commentary. Awesome result.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    So was the pitch fork blunt and the matches dud?
  • cjcp
    Just seen some highlights. The tries were wonderful, and Corbisiero's support work in the build up to his own try was splendid, but what about that tap-tackle by Pahling?!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Love the diplomacy and inclusion. ;)
  • cjcp
    :wink:

It was an awesome tap-tackle, though. Could've changed the momentum of the game if they'd scored that. Definitely up there with Gibbs-on-Du Randt, Guscott's drop goal, Bentley's try in SA, North's try in the first test and Dawson's dummy pass against SA in the All-Time Great Lions Moments list.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    cjcp wrote:
    :wink:

It was an awesome tap-tackle, though. Could've changed the momentum of the game if they'd scored that. Definitely up there with Gibbs-on-Du Randt, Guscott's drop goal, Bentley's try in SA, North's try in the first test and Dawson's dummy pass against SA in the All-Time Great Lions Moments list.

Cracking tackle.

So Greg, you joined in on slagging Gatland. Where do you stand now?
  • Gallywomack
    Gallywomack Posts: 823
    suzyb wrote:
    Were there any Scots playing. Or are we all too crap.

Richie Gray got on for the last ten minutes or so, prompting a rousing chorus of 'Flower of Scotland' in the pub I was watching it in :wink:

Felt the Scots were slightly hard-done-by, especially Hogg being played out of position to cover the lack of FHs, but Gray didn't really do enough to push himself ahead of Parling and Grant and Maitland were always going to be bit-part players. Felt maybe Brown deserved to tour but BR was very competitive.
  • Sewinman
    Poor form Greg et al.
  • Sewinman
    Actually fucking pathetic lack of responses given the idiotic comments on here pre-match. Frankly you lot don't know a lot about rugby union, so just get behind the shirt in future. Lions!!!!!!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Sewinman wrote:
    So Greg, you joined in on slagging Gatland. Where do you stand now?

Right here, Dory:
    As I say, really hope I'm wrong.

Happy to have been wrong.

Now reel your fcuking neck in with the repeated "I'm so fcuking clever and know everything about Rugby so why isn't everyone blowing smoke up my @rse?". That is *exactly* the wrong attitude to have.

When I've had time to watch the match, I might have something more temperate to contribute.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ddraver
    edited July 2013
    I think you ve made it clear that you just want us to lick the dick of the WRU and Jamie Roberts and frankly it's not about that. I have other places to discuss rugby that is nt a cycling forum and I'm doing it there as the conversation is a bit more mature...

However I recommend this one for you - http://welshrugbyblog.co.uk/forum/ - you ll like it there like a housewife likes the Daily Mail

Edit - Greg beat me...
    - @ddraver
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Sewinman wrote:
    Actually ******* pathetic lack of responses given the idiotic comments on here pre-match. Frankly you lot don't know a lot about rugby union, so just get behind the shirt in future. Lions!!!!!!

Bad day was it? Or looking at the time, a few beers in?

OK, I'll bite. Played for twenty years at various levels and have been a fan/supporter/follower of the game for nearly thirty. You do come across a bit sanctimonous at times when it comes to rugby opinions. Not meant as an attack; merely an observation.
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • Sewinman
    Back from hols. Well, I am glad there were finally some comments. Took your time lads....still don't think you bought into it, but ho hum - so be it.