After my first ride in Derby...

2»

Comments

• kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    If you are on uttoxeter new road then you could head upto Kingsway roundabout and onto the cycle path there. Follow the A38 back down to kedleston road and then up kedleston road to Hulland (big climb) then turn round and scare yourself going downhill!.

After that turn onto the ashbourne road and go along a bit and then turn down to brailsford for a longer run.

One thing you realise on a bike is that your safety is your responsibility. Car and bus drivers may or may not see you, you have to see and anticipate them.

I have quite a few runs starting from the Royal derby as I work there but commute via anything from a 6 km to 35km route.

Pm me if you want any help
    chris
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you fancy a small test in that area, go through Melbourne on the Ashby Rd(B587) and you'll hit a small hill on the way out, carry on for a mile or so towards Staunton Harold/Lount and then turn right dropping down to the back end of Staunton Harold Res/Calke Abbey, follow the road(Heath Lane) all the way to Woodville and you'll hit a nice hill on the way.
    I've got a feeling that they do the odd hill climb up Heath lane, starts steady from the rear entrance to Staunton Harold and builds up to nice finish as you go through the wood at the top. On a positive note, it's all down hill from there.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Looks like I have another excuse to show off this vid again

http://youtu.be/7Ke2R4TJauA

Alkmonton towards Derby - if you follow the road through Longford that is another gorgeous stretch to cycle on.

Huge coincidence - I have had the same feeling on that same stretch of road- first time I really felt like a pro cyclist, anyway you should have turned right just before Longford - that is another quick stretch of road!
  • letap73
    Bozman wrote:
    If you fancy a small test in that area, go through Melbourne on the Ashby Rd(B587) and you'll hit a small hill on the way out, carry on for a mile or so towards Staunton Harold/Lount and then turn right dropping down to the back end of Staunton Harold Res/Calke Abbey, follow the road(Heath Lane) all the way to Woodville and you'll hit a nice hill on the way.
    I've got a feeling that they do the odd hill climb up Heath lane, starts steady from the rear entrance to Staunton Harold and builds up to nice finish as you go through the wood at the top. On a positive note, it's all down hill from there.

+1, a slight alternative go via Ticknall - turn left at Calke Abbey entrance - cycle through the Calke Abbey estate into Calke then join Heath Lane - avoids that "small hill" on the B587. The Heath lane climb is actually quite steep at the end
  • letap73
    I went on my longest ride yet at 5.30am on Monday morning as i wanted to get through Derby City Centre without too much difficulty but i took everyone's advice and headed south to finally have some flat roads and headed to Melbourne then Swadlincote - which in no way was flat! between Melbourne and Swadlincote it was just a permanent hill!!! but I have to say i had a lovely ride between Swadlincote and Derby, going through Repton and Willington (i enjoyed it as it was mainly downhill or flat)

So just wanted to say thanks for people advice on where to ride

A

Next time, when you leave Ticknall take the right to Foremark and Milton. That's basically flat all the way into Repton. The route you took has two of the worst hills in the area and that one up to the Clock Garage is just stupid :wink:

If you don't mind the first hill out of Ticknall (which is just a complete grind), once you've gone belting down the other side and are in Woodville, there's a turn on the right (on a left hand bend) which you can take to Repton as well but that's a bit of a rat run and cars go belting down there at stupid speeds. You can cut through Findern after Willington and cut up Bakeacre Lane up to Blagreaves Lane

+1
    If you want to avoid the hill - just as you come out of Ticknall the road veers left and starts to climb - at the apex of that bend there is an road to the right which is an easy ride into Repton.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    letap73 wrote:

Alkmonton towards Derby - if you follow the road through Longford that is another gorgeous stretch to cycle on.

Huge coincidence - I have had the same feeling on that same stretch of road- first time I really felt like a pro cyclist, anyway you should have turned right just before Longford - that is another quick stretch of road!

Ah but you miss why I do the route I do... it's part of the 100Km route I like. If I take that stretch (which is great going BACK to Hatton... Salt Box... mmmmmmm...... (drools quietly...) I don't get the miles in.

Mind you: those two insanely sharp bends at the farmhouse with the mental yappy dog ALWAYS catch me out.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Bozman
    letap73 wrote:

Ah but you miss why I do the route I do... it's part of the 100Km route I like. If I take that stretch (which is great going BACK to Hatton... Salt Box... mmmmmmm...... (drools quietly...) I don't get the miles in.

Mind you: those two insanely sharp bends at the farmhouse with the mental yappy dog ALWAYS catch me out.

You don't know why the bottom end of that road(Hatton end) is closed at the moment do you? There's been a diversion for a couple of months which sends you up to Church Broughton and down by Broughton Heath golf club.
  • letap73
    Kieran, have you got a link to the ride that you do?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Sounds like we should meet up for a Bikeradar S. Derbys loop! Based in Repton me.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I'd be up for that. Been off the bike for over 3 weeks now due to a small crash so need to get back into it this week. Got a 100 miler to do in June.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Likewise :)

Oh and the 100Km route is a CX friendly one (half of it is off road): http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/user/1500261

The 100 Mile route is from home in Kegworth but basically the same middle section. I've got another 100 mile route which starts at mine and loops through Tamworth and back through Burton, Newton Solney, Repton, Milton.

It's got one epic downhill run at Rangemore if anyone knows it, a suitable bike could top 50 easily.

Oh, and I passed through Repton on Monday evening cycling with a mate via Donington and Derby
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Road bike routes only for me though.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    smidsy wrote:
    Road bike routes only for me though.

Yes me too.

Gathering will need to be after this weekend for me as doing Outlaw half-ironman on Sunday - not run for a month due to calf injury so who knows what will happen?
  • Kieran_Burns
    http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/kegworth-en ... -183318474

It says starts at mine but it passes through Repton so can easily be started there instead and we can fill up with drinks as we go past my place.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • nik6158
    nik6158 Posts: 32
    I'd be up for a group ride if one gets sorted, i'll keep an eye on here for any details. :D
  • Bozman
    If anybody in the South Derbys area are interested, Birkins Cycles near Hatton(1 Sutton Lane) are trying to put a Sunday run together, they're on Facebook, Twitter.