Close to buying! £2000 budget, anything else to consider?

2»

Comments

• ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Ok, so here's my new toy.... Giant TCR Advanced 2 2012.

8699444230_0ea4812df0_o.jpg
    Untitled by ct8282, on Flickr

Basically I test rode the bike today, loved it. Tried 2 models which were similar but had enough differences to gauge what works for me. I loved them both to be honest and the sizing was properly established.

I have bought the bike now and am waiting for it to be built and delivered. It's a 2012 model so I saved £750 over the current equivalent. Full Ultegra, Carbon frame, super solid and has great reviews. I think its a very good looking bike indeed. I'm pleased as punch.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    yeah thats a nice bike, think thats the one i nearly bought myself few months ago
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Avit5
    Avit5 Posts: 114
    Nice bike. So you ended up going for a slightly more aggressive geometry compared to your original list. Did you also test ride the defy advanced ? If so just wondering why you preferred the tcr . I know there are some cracking deals on the 2012 tcr at the moment.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Nice bike. Better than the "sportive" types you were considering.
    How much did you pay and what size did you go for ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • ct8282
    Avit5 wrote:
    Nice bike. So you ended up going for a slightly more aggressive geometry compared to your original list. Did you also test ride the defy advanced ? If so just wondering why you preferred the tcr . I know there are some cracking deals on the 2012 tcr at the moment.

I did test ride the Defy Advanced. The riding position felt immediately more relaxed so I can see why its classed as an endurance bike. Because of the steep top tube and higher bars it almost felt like sitting on an MTB when holding the top bars, but you can still get down and aggressive with the bottom grips. However, the TCR still felt relaxed enough but just made me want to ride a little harder. It just felt more tuned and willing I suppose. It was a better compromise for me I felt. Plus I much prefer the look of the TCR.
  • ct8282
    Galatzo wrote:
    Nice bike. Better than the "sportive" types you were considering.
    How much did you pay and what size did you go for ?

Went for medium size. They brought out the M/L but after riding the medium and after they had checked me over on the bike they said I didn't even need to try the M/L as the medium was just right. I paid £1749
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    ct8282 wrote:
    Canny lad wrote:
    If you like the CR1 Team shop about, got mine for £1599. For £1899 it came with Ksyriums.

Pray tell. Where did you get it for that price?

Bit late, but Epic in Ludlow :)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My GF has just bought an Infinito. It is a thing of utter beauty.

You'll need to settle for 105 and Fulcrum 5s if your budget is rigid at £2k but they are a stunning bike.

There is much more to carbon than the bike weight. Carbon can achieve shapes at tube junctions that create stiffness just not achievable with metal tubes. It can also create stiffness in one direction and suppleness in another.

At £2k, you have a choice of a lot of very good carbon bikes. You would need to be an aluminium nutter to ignore them.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ct8282
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    My GF has just bought an Infinito. It is a thing of utter beauty.

You'll need to settle for 105 and Fulcrum 5s if your budget is rigid at £2k but they are a stunning bike.

There is much more to carbon than the bike weight. Carbon can achieve shapes at tube junctions that create stiffness just not achievable with metal tubes. It can also create stiffness in one direction and suppleness in another.

At £2k, you have a choice of a lot of very good carbon bikes. You would need to be an aluminium nutter to ignore them.[/quote

Please refer to 8 posts up from here..... :D