First Bonk?

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
OK, was riding yesterday and after 2.5 hours and just over 30 miles I felt like I was cycling through treacle, the wind suddenly seemed to me pushing me backwards and I felt bloody miserable...

Does this sound like I was bonking (in the cycling meaning of the word)?

My question is, how many calories do people eat during a ride and are there any guidelines of calories 'v' time / miles?

Thanks.

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I have absolutely no idea how many calories I eat full stop - never mind during a ride. I recon the biggest thing to get right is diet on the evening before a ride though, and then topping up with breakfast on the morning. Try to get that right and then you should just need to top up on a ride.

As an example, if i eat right then i can do a good 70 or 80 mile ride with no food other than drinks. Get it wrong, and as you found out - its really hard (and i recon no amount of calories on the ride will make a huge difference - just delay the inevitable). Top up using bananas, energy bars, gels, fig rolls, jelly babies...... and of course the best food ever - CAKE!! :D
  • Neil_aky
    Yeah, I think I made a few mistakes here.

I was planning to go on a shorter ride but felt good and kept going; I usually have porridge for breakfast but couldn't be bothered that morning and reached for the rice krispies; I then had a coffee mid-morning and a very light lunch before going out for my ride in the afternoon. This was on top of a 10 mile walk and 25 mile ride the previous day.

Obviously the above is all reflection with the benefit of hindsight but until it happens you don't realise the consequences and as I said, I actually felt really good at the start of the ride (this probably made matters worse by encouraging me to go faster at the start!)

Actually checked my previous rides and I did more miles a week ago with just water and felt great at the finish - so I think you are right about preparation.

Will certainly take something to eat with me next time though or plan my route via a good cafe / cake stop.

A valuable lesson learnt.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As you say Neil - its a good lesson to learn and having experienced it in reality, its actually really helpful to know how easy it is to get wrong. You'll be better prepared next time for sure - and have experience to build on for the long rides to come this summer.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Jelly Babies are awesome!! I take some with me when out on a 10+ mile run, havent bought a bike yet so can't comment on that haha
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Neil_aky
    Your knees will thank you if you switch to cycling!

Just don't ask on here for advice on which bike to buy... Everyone will tell you to buy the bike they bought :-)
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Thats the same with anything HAHA, nah, still running too, Marathon application went in this morning for London next year, and hopefully do a few local smaller triathlons this year aswell :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Neil_aky wrote:
    OK, was riding yesterday and after 2.5 hours and just over 30 miles I felt like I was cycling through treacle, the wind suddenly seemed to me pushing me backwards and I felt bloody miserable...

Does this sound like I was bonking (in the cycling meaning of the word)?

My question is, how many calories do people eat during a ride and are there any guidelines of calories 'v' time / miles?

Thanks.

I doubt you bonked at that distance and that amount of time in the saddle. Believe me you'll know when you've bonked. As a simple rule, if I'm going out for less than an hour, I'll skip breakfast and just carry some water to do a fasted ride. Over an hour and I'll make sure I've had breakfast and carry some additional nutrition for use the longer or further I go on. In a 2-3 hour ride or 50 miles I may or may not consume a gel. Depends how I feel. But I will consume liquids. Longer rides and further distance I'll consume more nutrients whether I feel like them or not just to avoid fatigue.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Neil_aky wrote:
    Actually checked my previous rides and I did more miles a week ago with just water and felt great at the finish - so I think you are right about preparation.

Will certainly take something to eat with me next time though or plan my route via a good cafe / cake stop.

A valuable lesson learnt.
    Personally for rides near 2hrs in length I like to have more than water. A good sports drink or water additive can work wonders in keeping you topped up. Buying stuff like gatorade will get expensive so I'd go with additive powder or you can even just make your own - water, cordial, sugar and a pinch or two of salt. Loads of recipes online.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.